Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 26, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

Manga Studio EX 4 or stick to programs i have?

:iconcatshy:
Catshy Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012
Okay so i was thinking about buying Manga Studio EX 4
I use Paint tool SAI, and have Photoshop elements 8, Photoshop CS 5.5, Adobe Illustrator and a multitude of adobe web design like adobe fireworks and Dreamweaver (long story short- my dad had to get the student pack for school and he let me use it to get photo shop cs 5 but ended up getting the whole deal)
And from the reviews i've read on it MSE4 is more popular than Photoshop
I want to make a digital comic but frankly because doing it traditionally takes a bit
First i got to plan out the page
than draw it/color it in
Then i have to scan it onto my computer, open in MS paint, save it.
Then open it in Microsoft office and auto correct (scanner bleaches the color a bit)
Than i have to open it in paint tool SAI and color deepen (to hide the non-photo blue pencil that shows up)
I also have to upload it to my second DA (don't like posting stuff on my main DA like comics)
And finally copy the URL and upload it to Smackjeeves...all this takes around and hour and a half, maybe more
but MSE4 is $100 on amazon
So do i deal with Paint tool SAIs line-art setting and the traditional method or do i buy MSE4 and gets all the stuff (tones and etc) with it?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconbobfrankly:
BobFrankly Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Make sure you try MSE4 first. I tried it and enjoyed their perspective and radial rulers for speed-lines and the like. I hated nearly everything else about the program. It was mostly a "touch and feel" hate, it just didn't seem to have any flow outside of the rulers. I prefer sketchbook pro for my drawings, and it's even cheaper (better and cheaper? how often does that happen?) But each person has their own tastes. Don't worry about what's "popular", just make sure that it works for you.
:iconhmontes:
HMontes Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Professional General Artist
You might want to look into Manga Studio 5. It has a new interface and inking engine. Manga Studio 4 and earlier is based on Comic Studio which is being phased out by the publisher, CelSys. Manga Studio 5 is based on their new Clip Studio Paint Pro. Look at the features and more information here: [link]
Catshy Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
Looked at it yesterday
Heres the catch though, i can only get it from Amazon, and they only have the Mac version and i dont have a Mac. Which was why i was looking into MSE4 though i want to get Manga studio 5
I find it odd Amazon has only a Mac version of Manga Studio and from a reseller. Smith-Micro has a storefront on Amazon. You might wait a while until Amazon offers the Windows version in the next few weeks.

Getting MSE4 now and upgrading later would mean you still have to get a full version for upgrade since version 5 is a different program and you can't do an online electronic "upgrade". The upgrade Smith-Micro is offering is a physical copy.
Eh
My mom doesnt know how long MSE4 is going to $100 on Amazon though
Well if it comes down to that and it fills your current needs then go ahead and get it.
Okay
:iconjei-art:
Jei-Art Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Wait....

What type of scanner do you have that you need to open up MS paint to save it???

You should just be able to scan it, take it into Photoshop and do the corrections there. You do not need 3 different programs and an hour and a half of work just to do that...
Catshy Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012
Like a Kodak one from the 3010(?) series i think, I open it up in MS to save as a PNG because for some reason office doesnt like the the file the printer saves in,and im lazy and press "auto correct" button in office. I don't mess with photoshop much, only to make SAI stuff transparent if needed
A good chuck of that hour and a half is draw/fixing the pic before the scan
Add a Comment: