Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
December 24, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 10

What free 3d-modeling software should I use?

:iconwisewoodrow:
WiseWoodrow Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Student General Artist
OK I am cheap, and suck at art,
so I was thinking about trying 3d-modeling.

What free software should I get?
I was thinking Blender or something like that.

(Sorry if this isn't the right forum .. DeviantART forums confuse me a bit.)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconoliveandrews:
OliveAndrews Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
It depends what you are trying to improve on.
[link] Is very good for human anatomy. The models are very anatomical, they show the muscles, rather than skin, what is what you are most likely to find if you search stock images. What I like about this site is that you can rotate the subjects left & right to view them from different angles, it is insanely helpful in getting the desired view. I also like that the 3D models are consistant. What I mean by that is the female model is the same female model for every female stock image. I always think it is important for references to remain consistant, that way you don't have to distort your stock images.

[link] This is the same website, just a subsection. You can rotate these models freely. Most of these are hands, which are enormously helpful as references.

TheWalkingGhost already touched upon Goggle Sketchup [link]
That software is helpful for building references. You can go to their page and download building models. They are really helpful, either as references, or something to make part of your work. You can manipulate the building to fit your image, extract the file as line art and then put that image in your piece. The thing I don't like is you need a licence to purchase it ($495) to unlock the trial version. Oh, and the trial version only lasts for 8 hours. Yep, that's right. 8 hours.
WiseWoodrow Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student General Artist
... I posted this like a month ago, still getting replies lmao
:iconoliveandrews:
OliveAndrews Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
Is that a problem? :p
:iconhmontes:
HMontes Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Professional General Artist
Blender is good if you can work around the interface and the steep learning curve. I wanted to dabble in 3D modeling and looked for a basic modeling program that would let me learn the basics. So I found Metasequoia. It doesn't have the bells and whistles like Blender but it is a solid program that doesn't require a lot of your system. And you can make some pretty nice models with it. What you learn with it will help you when you go to a more complex program. It is a step up from Google Sketchup. Find the freeware version at the link. The full version with more features can be purchased for $45. [link]
:iconvargson:
Vargson Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Are you a student of some sort?
:iconheminder:
heminder Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Professional
Blender.
It's actually libre-free, and not pseudo-free like most freeware applications.
:iconthe-average-alex:
The-Average-Alex Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012   Digital Artist
Sculptris and blender. You can't go wrong with those two
WiseWoodrow Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Student General Artist
Thanks.
I got Blender.
:iconthewalkingghost:
TheWalkingGhost Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Filmographer
Blender, Sculptris or GoogleSketchup.
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Professional Artist
Blender is good and free. Really can't go wrong starting with blender.

Add a Comment: