Closed to new replies
December 9, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 35

Dual boot a Mac OSX on a Linux Machine?

:iconjohnnydwicked:
johnnydwicked Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Professional Filmographer
I've searched for tutorials on how to dual boot Mac OSX 10.8 on a Linux Mint 13 Machine (originally Windows 7) but it's always how to boot linux on a Mac. I wanted it the other way around but could find tutorials. So I was wondering any help? I want Mac on PC powered by Linux.

Also, FYI, I don't have a Mac so I can't use a Mac OSX to create the boot. But I already have the OSX disc, just wondering how do I install that on a Linux Mint PC to dual boot it.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondelusionalhamster:
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You can just use Darling now

[link]
:iconworkoutprogress:
workoutprogress Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012   Photographer
Dunno if this is answered yet but linux has bootloaders other than bootcamp, have you checked out lilo or grub and starting with linux for the install rather than the other way around?
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Professional Artist
Linux usually runs pretty light... perhaps run OSX over it in a VM?
:iconpakaku:
Pakaku Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
What do you need OS X for?

If anything, you'll probably want to look at the hackintosh community...
:iconpr-imagery:
PR-Imagery Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Would help to know what computer your using, it is quite simple with a SB/IB based computer tho.
:iconjohnnydwicked:
johnnydwicked Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Professional Filmographer
Core 2 duo 2.4ghz, 8gb Ram, 250 gb hdd, and geforce 9600gt.
:iconpr-imagery:
PR-Imagery Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Best guides out there.

[link]
or
[link]
:iconzipper-1:
Zipper-1 Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Professional Filmographer
I tell you what, read this article for yourself and make your decision. I strongly advise against it because of the instability of the system, but it's your choice, this article should help. [link]
:iconzipper-1:
Zipper-1 Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Professional Filmographer
It's best you avoid that Johnny, it's not supported and illegitimate, not to mention. Hacking a machine can only turn out for the worst if you're unsure of what exactly you're doing. You really don't want to risk your computer on bad software and a hack. It could open you up to viruses galore, not to mention you're accessing vital parts of the system software and that's never a good idea unless you're an expert programmer. Honestly, programming is a little over even my head, and I know computers pretty well, at least hardware wise and most software up to programming, which is about the only gray area for me.
:iconscnal:
Scnal Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It's worth pointing out that as well, no hardware could become harmed through installing an OS itself. The computer itself would remain fully functional. If it works, then perfect. If it doesn't work, then all it takes is removing the OS from your hard drive and you're absolutely fine again (nothing's permanently changed is the point). As a programmer who's personally installed plenty of OSes in my free time, and I have a decent understanding of them, I can say that none of your claims apply, there wouldn't be any more viruses than on a regular mac, the accessing low level software really doesn't matter and isn't even on the client's end (that is to say, Johnny wouldn't ever need to deal with any of it), and it's a good idea for anyone interested.
Add a Comment: