I have tried it, I am not really someone who does a lot of painting, but I know a lot about software development and design. Some things that caught my eye: - If you want anyone to beta test this, make a free full version and not a demo version that reminds you to activate it with a frame around the working surface. - The performance is really bad (and I am on a very fast system, including the graphics card). - It seems you spent a lot of time designing the interface and animations in it, rather then developing features. - As said before: There are no layers and no way to save a project file. - I am missing an options page (did I overlook it?) for example to turn of the animations on the interface, they slow down the workflow even more then the bad performance. - The controllers might produce nice stuff, but they remind me of a 4th generation programming language, which is always a bad thing. - Is the startup animation always there or does it really depend on the load time? I started the program from an SSD, the loadtime should be <1sec.
My conclusion: The program may have some nice features, but overall it seems a lot like a "let's create a nice interface with cool animations" project. Basic features of art programs are missing, the performance is bad and it just does not stand out between the load of free alternatives. As a programmer, I can imagine how much work went into this, but I would not buy this as long as there are free alternatives with more and better features.
1) We are an independant development company and the paid beta business model is the only thing supporting the development of Black Ink right now. The trial version is not very restrictive: you have access to every functionality, no time limit and no need for registration. Also purchasing a license comes with a free lifetime access to every future update so we think this is a very fair deal.
2) what is your graphic card ? You must have a card which have a G3D mark of least 500 on this site [link] and 1000 for a real smooth experience. Everything with Black Ink is rendered and antialiased by the GPU which is a plus if you got a great GPU but an inconvenient if not. It's still in development we will optimise the rendering for weaker GPU in the future.
3) this will come but as a very small team we can only do one thing at a time
4) preference menu will come too .Here is the list of upcoming features ; [link]
5) The controllers are actually very similar to the current standards you can find in 3d packages like Maya, Softimage, Houdini and many more but in no 2D painting solution whatsoever, either free or paid. This is a very good way for people without any programming skill to use a very powerful tool and enjoy more freedom than with other packages.
6) you are smart there’s no “splashscreen disable” option for the moment. Perhaps in the future... we will see.
7) we are aware of language issues with the installer in different countries and we are working on this.
We did polish the user interface a lot because we think this will really make a difference for the final product. Now many features are on their way, basic ones as well as very uniques ones so you can still follow our development and see if we can change your mind in the future
Thanks for the feedback Regards
PS: Just out of curiosity as a fellow developer, what did you work on?
1) The price is fair. The only thing that bugs me about the free version is that annoying frame around the working-area. An unrestricted 30 day test period or something like that might be better (there may be a lot of good and less annoying possibilities).
2) I have a GT525m, which has a score of ~580 if I remember that correctly. In general, that should be enough for a drawing software. Again, some settings to reduce the live render quality to enhance the performance would be nice. (I don't mind if the settings are in a config file, but please have them.)
3) I know that problem. I can only suggest to focus on features, functionality and performance rather then on a polished user-interface.
4) I suggest to add the saving of project files to that list. This should be done before the layers feature. It is also helpful if you are able to backtrack and undo/redo your last steps.
5) This is more of a personal thing. I really don't like this 4th generation programming language style.
6) I hope so.
7) Why didn't you start the whole program in English?
I will definitely have an eye on this Project in the future it seems pretty interesting
I worked/work on several projects for The Imaging Source GmbH. I was involved in end-user software as well as sdk and driver development.
We chose to have a trial version you can use indefinitely so you can try again any time and check our new features. The trial frame is something that can evolve just like the rest of the program and every feedback is duly noted!
We’re aware of different performance issues and are optimizing and debugging as we speak to lay the ground for the next big features.
Black Ink is full english but the installer is third-party and needs to support a lot of different languages, which always come with its share of problems.
Thanks again for the feedback and best wishes for 2013!
carefully.This is my
raffle. First one's
here's her prize:
This time, the
winner will get a
thigh-up similar to
these: Rules: You
have to be a watcher
of mine before this
journal was posted.
If you want to
want to make an
awesome tutorial for
your friends, and
anybody else who
might be interested
gning ...There are
some essentials you
are going to want to
keep in mind when
you make your
:Its not just a...
scheinbar is a much-loved and well-known deviant. Just one look at her gallery, filled with enchanting photography, will have you mesmerized. A deviant for over 7 years, Christiane can always be found posting inspirational features as well as regularly commenting on other deviations and encouraging and empowering her fellow deviants. We are inspired and insist that you too stop by and congratulate ... Read More