Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 2, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 6

Norton duplicating files- how do I delete them?

:iconrobotrabbit:
RobotRabbit Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
So my computer is telling me I have less then 6 gigs left on my C drive. I know for sure that I don't have this much on my computer. This isn't the first time that this has happened. I took it down to the computer store last time, and guy there told me that Norton was creating these massive, useless files. Apparently Norton thinks it's a good idea to automatically backup everything on your computer into your C Drive. Over and over.

I already changed my settings to show hidden files, but I don't know where this is what to delete. I would prefer not to have to download anything, since my computer is a few gigs away from imploding. >.>

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcustardandpie:
CustardAndPie Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'd say it's best to uninstall Norton. If it keeps duplicating files, then there's something wrong with it.

Fortunately, Symantec (The company that produces Norton) has a tool that can help uninstall it: [link]

And to remove the duplicated files, follow the instructions here: [link]
:icondoctorv23:
DoctorV23 Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
Is that Norton Ghost? Removal tool: [link] It's a horrible thing - can't imagine anyone wanting that thing. I had it on my first computer back in 2001. XP had just launched and I was a real newbie then lol.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Get rid of Norton. It's a horrible program that just eats your computer. Completely uninstall it and never put it on again.

Go and get Avast. It's free and way better. And it won't destroy your machine.

Then go through, straighten up your files, and you're good to go.
:iconrobotrabbit:
RobotRabbit Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yeah, I'm starting to see that. D: My family have used it for years with little issue, but it's not agreeing with my computer.

Even if I uninstall it, will it take care of the hidden files?
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Yeah, my parents used Norton forever, too. I don't know whether it used to actually be better, or if it's just a matter of it being available early and getting people into the habit of using it.

Unfortunately, getting rid of Norton still leaves you with the crap it stored on your machine. You'll need to go through and manually delete them. There are instructions for doing that here:[link]
:icondavidscript:
DavidScript Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Most likely not. You're gonna have to follow this guide: [link]
Add a Comment: