November 28, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 5

CMYK file doesn't look fine in CMYK...

:iconfireflyalpha:
FireflyAlpha Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Hey there,

I've recently finished a project for a local company, which they now want printed.
I've created the image in CMYK mode in Photoshop CS5 (chose CMYK as a color mode when I created the empty canvas). However, when I now import the finished .PSD document in Illustrator to add the trim marks and everything, and then save it

A: in RGB color mode, it looks fine
B: in CMYK color mode, it looks way over-saturated and all the colors and contrasts are wrong.

If I save as JPG/PNG/TIF/... directly from Photoshop, it looks wrong, too (same as CMYK mode from Illustrator).

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thank ya.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Professional Artist
Your monitor doesn't work in CMYK

Anyway, it has to convert to RGB when it displays it to you and that's where the colors get weird. You should be able to save it as a TIFF and the printshop should be able to go from there with it. It's just that when you open the cmyk jpeg or w/e with another program it doesn't know how to convert the information to rgb accurately and fucks it up.
That's what I thought first, but it doesn't seem to be that way since the prints also look over-saturated.

Could it be due to the icc profile Photoshop uses (and embedded into the file)?
To my knowledge, it (e.g. Picasa) should convert the image to rgb properly (just like it views it properly on Photoshop, and i can convert it to RGB which results in a slight color change)... Am I wrong there? :/
:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
Sure.

CMYK is for printed works, while RBG is for photons.
I'm well aware of the fact that CMYK is for printing, which is quite exactly what I'm going to use it for.
However, since I have worked on this image in CMYK mode it is supposed to export properly (1:1) if I export a JPEG file.
:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
Nope. That's not how it works at all.
Add a Comment: