Closed to new replies
November 26, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 45

Microsoft should be convicted of crimes against humanity

:icondelusionalhamster:
delusionalHamster Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Again, Microsoft is playing dirty. As was widely feared, Microsoft's bullshit "security" feature "secure boot" is simply another transparent anti-competitive scheme to exclude other operating systems from the market. Microsoft is just so afraid of honest competition, probably because they're so full of talentless hacks that they couldn't survive without dirty tricks. But what else is new.

Reportedly, many x86-based PC:s are now being sold where there is no option to turn off secure boot, despite microsoft's earlier assurances (ie. lies) that it would be possible on all PC:s. So consumers buying their win8 PC:s are screwed, they get sold defective hardware and are forced to deal with a crappy OS against their will.

Not only that, microsoft is acting as the gatekeeper that decides who gets security keys. Obviously, they're now "delaying" the process, to keep competing OS:s from being able to be installed on secure boot computers. They are purposefully hindering competition, abusing their market position (what else is new) which ultimately hurts the consumers, and hurts innovation.

It's clear that the world would be a better place without criminal organizations like microsoft. The question is, how do we get rid of them? Should they be sued for antitrust violations, or something else? Ideally, they should be convicted of crimes against humanity, but sadly I don't think that's going to happen in the current political atmosphere... they have too much money to spend on politicians in both the US and EU.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

delusionalHamster Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
LO f'n L!

[link]

I bought a Microsoft Surface yesterday. Long story, don’t ask why, it wasn’t for me.

This is the story of the purchase.

It started with a phone call to the Microsoft Pop-Up store at the Shops at Columbus Circle…

Evan: “Hi, do you have any Surface tablets in stock”

Sales Rep: “Yes, plenty!”

Evan: “32’s or 64’s?”

Sales Rep: “All of them!”

I went to the “store” about two hours later. It’s not really a store. It’s a very small set up…kinda like those mall kiosks where they sell knick-knacks with inspirational phrases on them.

There are eight - EIGHT - sales reps in a very small space. When I get there I am the only customer. Note it is 7pm on a Wednesday night and the place is bustling with holiday shoppers and tourists. I am the only person at their ”store.”

I approach the closest rep and ask for a 32GB Surface and a red keyboard. She asks me if I’d like a demo. ”No”, I tell her. I just want to buy it. She seems lost and does not know what to do. She calls over the “manager” and he unlocks a case and pulls out a Surface and the red keyboard.

He hands them to me and asks me if I want a demo. Seriously WTF is up with the pushing of the demo??? I tell him no and just want to buy it. My original sales rep takes the items over to the register, pulls out a tired old scanner gun and zaps my two items. The Microsoft laptop acting as the register immediately crashes. She looks up at me and says “Sorry my computer crashed. Just give me a second to reboot.”

She reboots, rings me up and asks me if I’d like my receipt. I ask her to email it to me. She says they can’t do that. So I tell her sure, I’ll take the receipt. She hits print, the computer crashes again and I walk out.

YOU CAN NOT MAKE THIS STUFF UP
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Nov 29, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
We all know windows 8 is goofy, but we're all getting over it like we did with vista. It's not microsoft's fault if someone doesn't know how to use a computer.
delusionalHamster Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yes, this has been the microsoft business strategy for quite some time now.

1 - make a horrible product
2 - blame the users
3 - profit!!!

I don't want ribbons in my programs. I don't want horrible schizophrenic UI:s that can't decide if they're meant for tablets or desktops. And most of all, I don't want to pay for MS to take control of my hardware and riddle it with crapware and DRM. I want my computer to be my computer and do what I say, not what MS says.
CinderBlockStudios Nov 30, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
While 8 is a little odd, it's an important leap for the company. Here's the funny part about it. Mac makes a drastic change: People love it. Microsoft makes a drastic change: people hate it.
delusionalHamster Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well, I don't really give a fuck about macs. Everyone knows that mac users are like a religion, they obediently buy every new device while they're waiting for the second coming of Jobs...

Anyway, your logic is flawed - you defend the poorly designed, horribly implemented changes of vista 8 by saying "other people change things too and people love them"... but change is not a value in itself - there are bad changes and there are good changes. It matters if it's a change for better or a change for worse, and vista 8 is definitely a change for worse.

But you don't have to believe me. The statistics don't lie - win8 sales figures are like a fraction of the corresponding win7 figures when it had been out for the same amount of time. Everyone knows its a flop. Everyone can see it - except the diehard ms fanbois, and the paid shills and astroturfers of microsoft.

Windows 8 sucks. Get over it.
CinderBlockStudios Nov 30, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
windows 8 only kinda sucks. Get off you're high horse, suck it up, quit trolling.
delusionalHamster Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You're only kinda right.

In that, if you take out the words "only kinda" and everything after "sucks" then your post is 100% correct.
CinderBlockStudios Dec 1, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
oh please, have you seen any of the touch devices designed for W8. Example: Lenovo's Yoga it actually looks pretty sweet.
delusionalHamster Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You mean like devices that are advertised to have 32GiB of storage but actually only have 16GiB available because win8 takes a 16GiB chunk of storage memory?

All actual usage tests that are performed by neutral parties (as opposed to microsoft-paid shills) are giving win8 tablets (as well as desktops and notebooks) horrible reviews.

What's more, windows on ARM is a totally closed platform, controlled by microsoft. It's like apple but even worse because you can't (as of now at least) even jailbreak them. And no one wants to develop for them, so the app selection sucks. What are you going to do with your "sweet" tablet or whatever when all the available apps are crap?
(1 Reply)
:iconscnal:
Scnal Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Except when you consider iPhones.
Add a Comment: