Closed to new replies
November 26, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 29

Mozilla turning off Win64 builds

:iconppgrainbow:
ppgrainbow Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
For more information regarding the suspension of 64-bit builds of Firefox read this article: [link]

If users were hoping for a 64-bit version of Firefox...bad news, this is not going to happen - now, nor in the near future. The reasons are according to a message posted to Bugzilla, Benjamin Smedberg, a developer with consulting from Mozdev stated that the Win64 builds need to stop. Win64 builders are a constant source of misunderstanding and frustration, because of the following:

1. Many plugins are still natively not available in 64-bit versions of Windows.
2. The 64-bit plugins that are available don't even work correctly in Firefox, because developers have not implemented things like windowproc hooking, which means that browser hangs are more common.
3. Crashes submitted by users of 64-bit Windows OSes are currently not high priority, because developers are working on other things.
4. Developing Win64 builds are frustrating for users, because they feel (and absolutely are) second class.
5. It is also frustrating for stability team triage, because crash-stats does NOT easily distinguish between x86 and x64 builds in the topcrash lists and other reports. Developers have basically ignored a set of nightly "topcrashes", because they are x64 only.

For these obvious reasons, Mozilla made a decision to disable the Win64 nightly builds for now and should publish a custom update to move the current Win64 nightly users back to Win32 and should disable Win64 builds completely.

And for these reasons, it's obvious that Win64 builds never made it out of Nightly and will be scrapped until further notice. Users who are on Windows XP x64 and later can still run the Win32 builds of Firefox (Nightly, Aurora, Beta and Released versions).

Is everyone disappointed about Benjamin's decision to turn off Win64 builds?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconscholarwarrior-lad:
scholarwarrior-lad Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Lame. Personally I see this as a sort of laziness on the part of the programmers. You also see this with plugins quite often too. The development of 64 bit versions lags behind that of the 32 bit ones. I think they don't like writing the 64-bit versions of platforms because these are harder to put together and write than their corresponding 32 bit counterparts. As long as it is possible to run a 32 bit version of the browser on a 64-bit operating system though I suppose I'll be okay with it but I'm sick of all the excuse making people dole at instead of being honest and just saying they don't want to go that extra mile because it's hard and they don't like doing it.
ppgrainbow Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Well...the developers tried to get 64-bit plugins to work in 64-bit Nightly builds of Firefox, but it was just too much for right now. :(

I honestly can't blame them.
:iconscholarwarrior-lad:
scholarwarrior-lad Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Aren't nightly builds usually buggy anyway though?
ppgrainbow Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Nightly builds are buggy and not 100% stable.
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Firefox doesn't need to be 64 bit. It's a browser...not a hub for a bunch of plugins.
ppgrainbow Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
That's your opinion. It's just that plugins are not compatible with 64-bit Firefox Nightlies and that's the reason why they scrubbed the Win64 builds.
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
still doesn't seem to be a major concern.
ppgrainbow Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It isn't.
:iconpr-imagery:
PR-Imagery Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Meh, Waterfox.
ppgrainbow Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Even if people tend to use Waterfox, the plugins wouldn't still maintain compatibility.
Add a Comment: