Closed to new replies
November 20, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 41

Mozilla Firefox 17

:iconppgrainbow:
ppgrainbow Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
For more information regarding the release of Firefox 17, read my latest journal entry: [link]

Now that Firefox 17 has been released, has anyone downloaded the latest Firefox version and installed it on their computer yet? As this year is starting to wind down, the latest version of Firefox doesn't have as many user-facing features as it did in previous releases.

Firefox 17 includes improved display of location bar results, improvements to the silent update mechanism for users with incompatible add-ons and refinements to the Click-to-Play system for which it was first introduced in Firefox 14.

For those 10% of Mac users who are on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard), users are out of luck. Users on 10.5 are going to be very disappointed to find that their OS is no longer supported. Removing Leopard support will further free up resources for newer Mac features such as Native Full Screen support and newer Mac accessibility tools.

Mozilla is not afraid of dropping support for older operating systems as it bases changes in supported operating systems on population size and trends, vendor support, testing resources and most importantly, technical feasibility. Earlier this year, Mozilla ended support for Windows 2000, Windows XP RTM/SP1 and Windows Server 2003 RTM as developers upgraded their compilers from MSVC 2005 to MSVC 2010.

Users on 10.5 will either have to stick with Firefox 16 (for which it was supported until today), upgrade to Max OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or later or download TenFourFox with Rosetta support.

The changes that didn't make it in Firefox 17 will do so in Firefox 18. Firefox 17 is the last release for 2012. While Firefox 18 was originally going to be released on 1 January 2013, it was officially delayed to the week of 6 January 2013 to avoid conflicts with major holidays.

Post your thoughts regarding Firefox 17, I would really love to hear it! :aww:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconhoggys2much:
hoggys2much Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
I upgraded to Firefox 17.0.1 (I love that number by the way) as soon as it came out.

I never used Firefox 16 as I didn't trust that as far as I could shot putt a planet.

I had to update from Fx15 as it was getting to be a real pain in the ass as it was beginning to get really slow.

I do not understand the problems people are having with Fx17.0.1 as it is the same layout as the the other ones and my Bayonetta persona works brilliantly.

What's this about Fx not working on 64-bit Windows? I am on Windows 7 and it works great. Although I do think that Internet Explorer may now be better than Firefox.
ppgrainbow Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't think that I have any problems with Fx17 at all. It's not about Fx not working on 64-bit Windows, Mozilla halted development of Win64 builds of Firefox until further notice due to most likely incompatible plug-ins that don't work correctly in 64-bit browsers.
:iconcustardandpie:
CustardAndPie Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I LOVE Firefox 17.0.1. Appearence-wise, it hasn't changed, but performance-wise, oh yes. It's actually not as slow as Firefox 16 was (Kept not responding and kept slowing down at times), so I really have to applaud the creators for speeding it up!!!!! :iconclappingplz:

It also works GREAT on Windows 7 :la:
ppgrainbow Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:thumbsup:
:iconnova225:
Nova225 Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012
I reluctantly updated today, from Firefox 15 to 17.01... reluctantly, because of the dumb change with the tab-bar and the lost of my favorite ''theme'' (incompatible with v.17)... and now, I seem to be facing a weird bug that I can't solve OR find information about.

So...
I found a new theme for Firefox 17, installed it and restarted Firefox.
Marvellous, it works fine.

Then, I close Firefox (to do something for a few minutes), reopen it, and... my ''theme'' is reseted to 'Default' AND my 'TACO' addon is deactivated even though it's compatible (If I click to update it, it say ''ready to update'', restart Firefox, work fine (even though the version doesn't change)... then is ALSO reseted to 'Deactivated' if I close/reopen Firefox).

It's rather annoying... and could be problematic to me.

Any help here ? (can't find any anywhere, so far)
ppgrainbow Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
That's quite complicated and odd though. :(
:iconnova225:
Nova225 Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
Seems like always the kind of bugs I get, whatever the program, when I make any kind of significant update... I'm 'inversely lucky' like that, with that sort of things. -_-
ppgrainbow Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Oh, dear. :(
:iconkakaya36:
kakaya36 Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
good i like moliza firefox
[link]
ppgrainbow Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Please don't spam pages with links.
Add a Comment: