November 17, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 13

Need Advice :)

:iconrafaellraff:
RafaellRaff Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012
Hello all, hope I'm posting in the right section it's my first post:P
Wanna start adding photos and work to my deviant account as I have it for some time now and check the site almost daily but first I want to get some tools.^^

So to go straight to why is this post all about:
I want to get a laptop that's good for Photoshop, Illustrator etc and the photos and art look really good on the screen but can't decide >.<
Was thinking at a Sony Vaio S series 17inch at least or macbook or even iMac heard many use that for these stuff.
I'm really having a hard time choosing between Apple products and Sony they are both awesome xD
Oh and p.s got a Nikon D5000 is it worth it to change for a Sony a57 ? :D

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

RafaellRaff Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
Searched more and with the help of your opinions I found this laptop: [link]
And later when I'l save some more money I might be geting this too:[link]

If you think it's not worth it or have a better option please comment:)
I like Windows because it has so many programs to choose from but a part of me keeps wanting a imac xD I dunno why anyways mostly i'l be using only ps and illustrator i'm guessing ^_^
:iconpr-imagery:
PR-Imagery Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
"part of me keeps wanting a imac" - Should build a desktop then if portability isn't necessary.

Sony if you add the i7 (quad core would be very helpful, dedicated graphics card, 8Gb of ram (or upgrade it yourself after), larger and faster hard drive.
RafaellRaff Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
Thank you very much for your replies, they helped me a lot :D
RafaellRaff Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
Messed up the link for the laptop it's this: [link]
:iconscnal:
Scnal Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
If you're willing to sacrifice portability, then go with a desktop with a good graphics card a nice screen. It's a lot cheaper and usually better altogether too. Best if you make the computer yourself, it's even cheaper and even better.

That said, if you're not doing any serious graphical work (high poly rendering, detailed vector work, etc.) and that's what you're mainly doing, you probably won't need to spend too much no matter what you get (desktop, laptop, or whatever else just as long as it's not a tablet). It doesn't really matter much between Apple, Sony, whatever. For art, after a capable graphics card, a decent amount of RAM, and probably a fair share of disk space, it doesn't really matter what the other specs are (obviously a really good computer is preferable, but as long as you have those you'll be fine). After that it's just the operating system which isn't a big deal.

I'd say get a windows computer, just because there's so many programs to choose from with windows, lots of windows exclusive ones, whereas macs and linux tend to have programs that are ported to every platform. But, that's just personal preference, if you like a certain operating system then use that, there's good tools for every OS.
:iconazupantsu:
AzuPantsu Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012
Apple products kinda suck, especially for the price. You can get a MUCH better machine for far less money than almost any apple product. People use macs for 'art' because they hear they are better for art, but they're not. They are exactly the same.

I'm with PR-Imagery though a budget would really be nice.
They sometimes have better screens...
AzuPantsu Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
Retina isn't better.. it actually will make things run worse..
It's just a higher resolution. I could see it coming in handy if you're just using it for graphics.
AzuPantsu Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
Yeah but that very same high resolution will be MUCH more demanding on the graphics which are not that great tbh so you're making it work twice as hard and overheats as well as starts not being able to render stuff properly. It's a well known issue.
Add a Comment: