Why does everyone hate W Vista?

I use it, and I find no reason to hate it. Can someone please say why its a "terrible" OS?
Comments41
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Vista was innovative, but lacked (and lacks) the proper implementation. (The problems are mostly at the kernel level, which vaguely repeats the type of flaw seen in Windows ME). I used it for over a year and was always impressed by how fragile it is compared to XP and 7, so people got pissed off when their OS messed up on them for apparently no reason.
HEre's something you should know about Windows:

Windows operating systems switch from good or bad.

XP was good, but Vista was like a tester for Windows 7

Vista is a pain in the butt to restore but Windows seven was much easier and simple to run as well.

Vista had bugs in the programming that never got dealt with unlike XP or 7.

Windows 8 is terrible compared to XP and 7.
I like Vista, and 7 too, but would personally prefer any kind of Linux distro, been putting some thought into Arch for the past few days.
in it's first few months prior to SP1 it had way more bugs and quirks than it does now.
I didn't have any problems with Vista, either. :shrug:

Running on Win7 now though.
It's a terrible OS because it's full of bloat, DRM and crapware. It's also terrible because it's made by a patent-troll supporting, anti-competitive, free-speech hating corporation known as "microsoft".

This evil corporation, "microsoft", is trying to take over the world by bribing politicians, lobbying for draconian laws that oppress the freedom of computer users everywhere, and using patent troll companies as proxies to attack their competition unfairly, instead of competing with them on level terms.

Microsoft has never made any innovations, all it does is uses underhanded, criminal tactics to attempt to eliminate its competition, because its products are so bad it could never survive on a level playing field.

Fortunately, there are other options. Personally, I try to make ethical choices when I decide what to purchase, so I could never buy anything from microsoft, even if their products were the best in the world. Which they aren't.
Im using it. Guess what! I HAVE NO CRAP OR BLOATWARE!!!!!! Microsoft isnt evil, and I dont need an apple or Sony troll.
Actually if you are a computer nerd, you'd know that the things mentioned there are built into the operating system.
PS: Ever heard of Kinect? For X360? Total innovation by MICROSOFT...... :fork:
3 reasons to hate microsoft

1. Microsoft supports patent trolls. Currently microsoft is backing various patent trolls in order to attack their competition by proxy. Patent trolls are harmful for everyone, businesses and end users alike, and supporting their activities is downright immoral.

2. Microsoft supports software patents. Software patents are a ridiculous concept, they prevent innovation and consolidate power to large corporations, preventing market entry from new startups.

3. Microsoft is against free speech. Microsoft was a supporter of SOPA, PIPA and ACTA, which would have had catastrophic results on the freedom and human rights of internet users everywhere. Not only that, ACTA would have cost lives due to preventing generic medicine from being used in developing countries. But I guess that's not a big deal for microsoft as long as they can line up their pockets a bit more.

ps. I'm not an "apple or Sony troll", they're both just as hideous as microsoft.
Microsoft never officially supported SOPA...

I guess its just cool for you to go after companies right? Surely the system that makes it possible isn't the problem...
True. Microsoft never supported those things against privacy.

The companies that did:

Google
Linux
Sony
and Apple

Goggle supported it because they've have problems with the government because of underage people and kids looking at adult stuff (18+)

I wasn't so sure about why Linux did.

Sony did because of similar problems like Google.

Apple Did because of people doing 'jailbreaks' on their software, so they can get apps normally 30+$ for free.
Reply 1 and 2: Yes, I guess thats true. PS on 2: Thats what happens when you want $$$ instead of freeware, like Cracked steam, where you basically get a hacked steam library.

3: Isnt that any major corp.? Any company is in it 4 the $$$.

And, yes. the others are bad...
3: Not really. Lots of major (and minor) corporations were against SOPA and ACTA. Yes, companies need to make $$$, but some companies don't want to make $$$ by taking away human rights - or at the very least, consider it beneficial for them to keep internet free. Some companies think more than short-term profits and look at long-term viability.

PR-Imagery: actually, you're right that they didn't officially support SOPA, but Microsoft did support "a legislation like SOPA". I think it's the intent that counts though, and either way microsoft has shown in many occasions that they support oppressive DRM and are totally in bed with RIAA and other draconian IP enforcers.

Also, you can't really separate "companies" from "the system that makes it possible". Firstly, you can't absolve a murderer because "the system made it easy" for him to murder - the murderer should still take responsibility of his own actions. Secondly, these companies are part of what causes the system to make it possible - they lobby for laws that allow them to operate in the way they do. So yes, there's corruption in politics and governments, which is definitely part of the problem, but that doesn't mean the corporations are innocent either - they should be held responsible for their actions.
please stay on the fact that Vista is "terrible"

And i just meant that Major corps are in 4 $$$, not because thee support SOPA or ACTA, just major GREED...
Currently 3% to 5% of customers still run Windows Vista and when it came out in late January 2007, hardware support for Windows Vista wasn't that well received and when they attempted to install Windows Vista on a computer that does not fully meet the system requirements, it ran slow for them.

This sparked numerous complaints from Windows Vista users throughout the site to a point where it sparked a bunch of "Vista sucks" remarks.

A few years after Windows Vista was released and a couple of service packs later, driver support has improved. However, Microsoft stopped selling Windows Vista along with Windows XP on 22 October 2010 and ended Windows Vista OEM system builder pre-installation sales on 22 October 2011.

The phase out of Windows Vista kicked up in full gear after Microsoft ended Mainstream Support for Windows Vista on 10 April 2012. As Vista support starts to wind down, vendors may have to stop testing the OS as early as the tail end of this year and this is not expected to become a common problem until early 2016.

Windows Vista is now dying along with Windows XP and it will only be supported until 11 April 2017 after which customers will be completely out of luck. The phaseout of Windows 7 has slowly begun after peaking at 55% worldwide usage as they're migrating further to Windows 8.
The reason people don't like Vista is that it eats memory and requires a strangely large amount of graphics power. This meant that when people upgraded from XP, they saw really slow performance on the same hardware.

Also, the drivers for Vista were really iffy when it was first released. XP drivers could be installed but wouldn't work right. People got frustrated and the OS would crash all the time.

Finally, Vista was really the first Windows OS that saw a wide-spread use of the dev builds and betas. Before XP's release the internet wasn't really in a position for people to just get experimental or leaked builds. So many of the "this shit's broken" reviews were based on the actually broken dev builds. Same as Windows 8.

Anyway, of course those issues would all be fine if you bought a computer (or built one) with Vista hardware and enough memory :shrug:
So I guess my laptop was made 4 it..
I think most people hate it since "it's a meme" or something.

I honestly have no real idea why there's so much hate for it. Yes, Windows 7 does run much better and smoother, but Vista runs fairly well. My guess is that people who hate on Vista have actually never used it. I used it for a short time, and it ran perfectly fine. 7 runs better, but Vista runs much better than the general populace likes to say it does.
I think the main issue was UAC (although easily disabled), along with just being a different layout (which W8 also got complaints about)
True. But as with any new operating system, people need to shut the fuck up and learn about it before bitching ;)

I like the idea behind UAC, although I find it just a bother, personally. So I turn it off, but I'm sure it's good for a certain kind of computer user.
It's probably annoying when you're used to an older version of Windows, which didn't have it, and you're upgrading to Vista.

On the flip-side, apps exist for OS X that act similar to UAC (I use Little Snitch), so there's definitely an audience for that
I actually just got and started using my first ever mobile device (an iPhone 4 I found while out biking, and defaulted and activated just recently), and my god is it a very different kind of computer :lol:

So I sort of understand the pains and hardships with something different. I mean, even simple things like copy/paste, selecting text, the missing operating system access, and all that, is just very very hard to get used to, when compared to a normal computer.

But this is where technology is going, so it's best to just try to use and get used to it.