Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 5, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 19

How come free-to-use anti-software never existed until now?

:icondtrinidad:
DTrinidad Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Is because in the past, it wasn't very common to get a virus or etc? I know these days, as the bad guys are innovating all the time, it's becoming common.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconxternal7:
xTernal7 Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Anti-software... How does anti-software look like?
DTrinidad Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I meant anti-virus software. I made a mistake. I wish we had an edit button.
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Nov 29, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
What!?

Let's see free virus software has been around since XP (at least) and viruses are actually less common now-a-days since people are getting smarter about how to use computers.
:iconcixie:
cixie Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
COMODO !
:icondelusionalhamster:
delusionalHamster Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I dunno, I haven't used an antivirus in a year and haven't gotten a single virus or malware. So I don't really care about the antivirus stuff.

Maybe some people simply enjoy slowing down their computers with "security" software that gives more false positives than real ones?
DTrinidad Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I use Microsoft Security Essentials and it doesn't slow down my 2005 Dell Notebook. I wouldn't do what you do because the last time I got a virus, it was from a safe site. Believe or not, a few deviantArt users like me got the Security Tool virus back in 2009. Some say that if you use a browser like Firefox with an add-on like AdBlock, you will be safe from it.
delusionalHamster Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It does slow down your computer though - maybe you just don't notice it, but it does. Any program that runs in the background uses resources, and thus slows down your computer.

Adblock I recommend though. Also, noscript. 90% of the scripts on websites are pointless, and it lets you enable scripts for sites if you need them. Javascript and ads are the largest vectors for malware, so simply using adblock and noscript makes your web browsing many times safer.
DTrinidad Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
If decide to try survive without Anti-virus software, I'll keep that in mind. Anything else I should do to keep me and my PC safe? Don't worry I have common sense, I don't do anything stupid like give out my personal info or etc. I'm not sure what else I should do, the bad guys are innovating all the time.
delusionalHamster Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
If you really want to be safe, get rid of windows and start using a secure OS like linux or BSD. Windows (any iteration of it) is full of security holes which the malware makers are exploiting, if you use linux or BSD you won't need any antivirus because they are systems that are built with security in mind in the first place.
:iconnokari:
nokari Nov 5, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
I've been using several free anti-virus programs for at least a decade. I don't know what the heck you're talking about.
Add a Comment: