Closed to new replies
November 3, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

Data recovery software for mac

:iconcenaris:
Cenaris Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I accidently deleted a ton of videos and photos I'd shot. I want them back. I want to grab a data recovery tool that will get them back. One that's free. I tried disk drill and then it insists I pay for pro to actually recover retrieved files.

Are there any that don't want your money to work?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconiphonerepairs:
iphonerepairs Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012
Disk Drill Mac recovery software finds deleted or damaged files, recovers file data with deep scan or undeletes files with quick scan.
:iconchimeradragonfang:
ChimeraDragonfang Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012
Seconding TestDisk/PhotoRec. Used that when my laptop went all "Fuck you" and mangled some files I desperately needed. Has versions for Linux, Windows and Mac, and it's all free. Someone in the forum where I originally got the link commented something to the effect of it recovering any file that has so much as breathed on your HDD, and holy shit they were not kidding. I found things in the recovery folders that I had deleted two years ago. So yeah, Chim is a big fan of this particular bit of software.
:iconavattz:
avattz Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012
One thing to note if you still want to recover anything from a disk is to stop using that disk. If it's the OS drive, the OS will continue to write to that disk that may make it harder to recover your files. I never lost any files on my Mac (I just leave them in the trash can), but I have lost and recovered plenty of files on Windows. The only application that I could find that is freeware for Mac is TestDisk/PhotoRec.

There are two methods recovery software uses to find "lost" files. The one that takes the short time (about an hour) can usually recover files that were recently emptied from the Recycle Bin by scanning the Master File Table (it's like a table of contents, but for your hard drive). The longer one (can take hours/days to complete) scans the data blocks themselves and can completely or partially recover old files. This is for NTFS, so the wording may be a little different for HFS+.
:iconkeepitoriginal:
KeepItOriginal Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012
Was it on your main harddrive?

Do you have a windows or ubuntu computer? If so try this [link] [link]

I dont know how to do this in osx, but what i'v heard it was difficult before time machine came out.
:iconpr-imagery:
PR-Imagery Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Were they on your system drive? If they were you definitely should stop using the computer before it overwrites those files. You'd also need a second drive to recover the files to.

Did you try this [link] or this [link] ?
I've heard bad things about the former. Tried the latter and it was trash. It didn't even find any discs to recover from.
:iconpr-imagery:
PR-Imagery Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Well then it'd probably be best to do it from a Windows or Linux machine (would be easier from Linux since most can read HFS natively).

If they're that important you should probably just buy the software. Try [link]
:iconpakaku:
Pakaku Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012
I thought that's what Time Machine, or backing up in general, was for?

And they're not actually sitting in the Trash, are they?
Never did any of those for reasons that were mostly "I don't know why". My fault but I don't see why I don't deserve to get them back.
Add a Comment: