Windows or Mac?

I've been thinking about that since half a year now, buy an iMac or a PC with Windows.
I ended up with iMac, because Mac is what most of the digital artists are using.
But today... well, my boyfriend and another friend came to me saying they are worried because I want to buy that iMac.
I started thinking again and don't know what to choose now.
Which OS is better if you are planning to draw, working with 3D Programms, doing graficdesings, webdesigns etc. ?
Hope you guys can help me out..
Comments176
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
If money isn't a problem, buy a MAC. You'll never have compatibility issues because you are willing to pay for the software you want and MAC does have very nice, stable sound editing software.
it depends on the configuration of the pc, not windows pc or mac. mac is a little expensive. I think you can choose windows and then buy some professional draw program. As I am not quite familiar with draw things,you can search google to know what are some good drawing program.
What other operating systems could I use to boot up a home theater pc besides using a windows or mac?
Myth, XMBC, LinuxMCE (media centre software), Element. There's quite a few out there.
"Microsoft has gone from 97% share of computer market to 20%"
~Goldman Sachs
If you include tablets and phones...

Not that your comment is even relevant...
I got that from a Linux video :shrug:
The statement is true, only if you include all computing devices like tablets and smartphones.
On the traditional PC, Windows still commands a sizable majority.
Buy ANY machine, but I suggest Linux. If you buy that iMac, and need help with Linux, I am the one to help.

If you buy a windows box, I can help you there as well.

If and when you are running Linux, and you need to run Windows applications (provided that it isn't a Windows 8 app), then Linux will gladly obey your orders with a swift install of WINE.

Of all the computers I own, none of them does not have Linux on them.
Windows users are lots in numbers and most of users are feel comfort in using the windows. Mac operating system users are very limited in numbers.
I personally believe that Windows operating system is comparatively is good as compared to mac.
Everything but Apple is an arguable choice.
Right when you said 3d programs, you need Windows.

Just because most artists use a Mac does not make it the best choice. Honestly I believe its how they are marketed. Photoshop does not run better on a Mac or whatever they say... I work at an animation studio, and I have been to several, they don't use Macs. ReelFX in Dallas does not use Macs to do their animation, they use Fedora Linux on Dell workstations. The studio I do work for also uses Windows-based PCs. Even Pixar uses Linux for their heavy rendering despite being founded by Steve Jobs.

There are several hundred types of PCs out there, and you can build your own. Plus if you plan on doing heavy rendering, don't even bother with an imac. They are more for looks and luxury than work, but that's my opinion. If you really want to get one, no one will judge you, its all personal preference. You can find a great PC that can outperform a Mac, and despite Windows 8's awkwardness, it performs very well (in my experience) And Macs are beautiful, hardy machines. Just be sure to do your research!
Windows for transformice
Security-wise
-Windows isn't gonna be easy for you to make secure. I had over 12 years of experience using Windows and it is around last 3 years I actually understood how to fend off threats.
-Linux is already secure by default.
-I don't know about mac.

The rest, well they're pretty much the same.
I think BSD's also secure by default.
Yeah, it is. I wonder if the game will change in the future considering the rapid advancement. By the way, there was a news/article that indicates that there is a government supercomputer designed to perform decryption of AES-256, but I do not know how credible it is. If it true, it wouldn't surprise me if they figure out how to generate automated exploits for any OS in the next decade and finding holes to any OS. Not to mention, with the increasing popularity, it wouldn't surprise me if there are malicious hackers that wants to create risky program. Open-source while generally safer isn't fool-proof from attacks.
Instead, I'm interested in addressing the lingering concern about Macs: They're more expensive than comparable Windows machines.
So I decided to see if this concern is valid. I didn't perform an exhaustive, detailed survey. Rather, I compared the specs and prices of three current Apple laptops--the MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro--against their likely Windows laptop competitors. (Keep in mind computer prices and specs change often. Prices and specs mentioned in this article were accurate as of 6/20/08.) Here's what I found.

RV Supplies

Trailer Accessories
Windows for neophytes.

OS X for hipsters.

Linux for nerds.

BSD for leets.
BSD is a nice OS in principle, it has many good features. The problem with it is the license. Which is why it probably will never attract enough developers to be more than a niche OS.

BSD is in decline [link]