Closed to new replies
November 2, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 175

Windows or Mac?

:iconjulloy:
JulLoy Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I've been thinking about that since half a year now, buy an iMac or a PC with Windows.
I ended up with iMac, because Mac is what most of the digital artists are using.
But today... well, my boyfriend and another friend came to me saying they are worried because I want to buy that iMac.
I started thinking again and don't know what to choose now.
Which OS is better if you are planning to draw, working with 3D Programms, doing graficdesings, webdesigns etc. ?
Hope you guys can help me out..

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjohnwilson1:
JohnWilson1 Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
If money isn't a problem, buy a MAC. You'll never have compatibility issues because you are willing to pay for the software you want and MAC does have very nice, stable sound editing software.
:iconjohnwilson1:
JohnWilson1 Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
:iconjohncathy:
Johncathy Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
it depends on the configuration of the pc, not windows pc or mac. mac is a little expensive. I think you can choose windows and then buy some professional draw program. As I am not quite familiar with draw things,you can search google to know what are some good drawing program.
:iconautoglass020:
autoglass020 Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
What other operating systems could I use to boot up a home theater pc besides using a windows or mac?
:iconpr-imagery:
PR-Imagery Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Myth, XMBC, LinuxMCE (media centre software), Element. There's quite a few out there.
:icondelusionalhamster:
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
:iconshadowmaker-241:
ShadowMaker-241 Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
"Microsoft has gone from 97% share of computer market to 20%"
~Goldman Sachs
If you include tablets and phones...

Not that your comment is even relevant...
ShadowMaker-241 Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I got that from a Linux video :shrug:
The statement is true, only if you include all computing devices like tablets and smartphones.
On the traditional PC, Windows still commands a sizable majority.
ShadowMaker-241 Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I figured.
:iconmmzero01:
MMZero01 Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Student General Artist
Buy ANY machine, but I suggest Linux. If you buy that iMac, and need help with Linux, I am the one to help.

If you buy a windows box, I can help you there as well.

If and when you are running Linux, and you need to run Windows applications (provided that it isn't a Windows 8 app), then Linux will gladly obey your orders with a swift install of WINE.

Of all the computers I own, none of them does not have Linux on them.
:icondirkbosch:
DirkBosch Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
Windows users are lots in numbers and most of users are feel comfort in using the windows. Mac operating system users are very limited in numbers.
I personally believe that Windows operating system is comparatively is good as compared to mac.
:iconvargson:
Vargson Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Everything but Apple is an arguable choice.
:iconjei-art:
Jei-Art Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Right when you said 3d programs, you need Windows.

Just because most artists use a Mac does not make it the best choice. Honestly I believe its how they are marketed. Photoshop does not run better on a Mac or whatever they say... I work at an animation studio, and I have been to several, they don't use Macs. ReelFX in Dallas does not use Macs to do their animation, they use Fedora Linux on Dell workstations. The studio I do work for also uses Windows-based PCs. Even Pixar uses Linux for their heavy rendering despite being founded by Steve Jobs.

There are several hundred types of PCs out there, and you can build your own. Plus if you plan on doing heavy rendering, don't even bother with an imac. They are more for looks and luxury than work, but that's my opinion. If you really want to get one, no one will judge you, its all personal preference. You can find a great PC that can outperform a Mac, and despite Windows 8's awkwardness, it performs very well (in my experience) And Macs are beautiful, hardy machines. Just be sure to do your research!
:iconspikeisanwolf:
SpikeIsAnWolf Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012
Windows for transformice
:iconredfoxbennaton:
Redfoxbennaton Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Windows.
:iconreptilliansp2011:
ReptillianSP2011 Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Student General Artist
Security-wise
-Windows isn't gonna be easy for you to make secure. I had over 12 years of experience using Windows and it is around last 3 years I actually understood how to fend off threats.
-Linux is already secure by default.
-I don't know about mac.

The rest, well they're pretty much the same.
:icondfx4509b:
DFX4509B Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I think BSD's also secure by default.
:iconreptilliansp2011:
ReptillianSP2011 Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student General Artist
Yeah, it is. I wonder if the game will change in the future considering the rapid advancement. By the way, there was a news/article that indicates that there is a government supercomputer designed to perform decryption of AES-256, but I do not know how credible it is. If it true, it wouldn't surprise me if they figure out how to generate automated exploits for any OS in the next decade and finding holes to any OS. Not to mention, with the increasing popularity, it wouldn't surprise me if there are malicious hackers that wants to create risky program. Open-source while generally safer isn't fool-proof from attacks.
:iconrobi1:
robi1 Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
Instead, I'm interested in addressing the lingering concern about Macs: They're more expensive than comparable Windows machines.
So I decided to see if this concern is valid. I didn't perform an exhaustive, detailed survey. Rather, I compared the specs and prices of three current Apple laptops--the MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro--against their likely Windows laptop competitors. (Keep in mind computer prices and specs change often. Prices and specs mentioned in this article were accurate as of 6/20/08.) Here's what I found.

RV Supplies

Trailer Accessories
:icondem0lecule:
dem0lecule Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012
Windows for neophytes.

OS X for hipsters.

Linux for nerds.

BSD for leets.
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
BSD is a nice OS in principle, it has many good features. The problem with it is the license. Which is why it probably will never attract enough developers to be more than a niche OS.

:iconheminder:
heminder Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Professional
BSD is in decline [link]
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Wait, are you that guy?

I saw that guy elsewhere on Phoronix going on about some alleged conspiracy where FreeBSD wants to increase the profits of Apple, and that's why they choose the Clang compiler or something...
heminder Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Professional
Nope, I'm not on the Phoronix forum. I do go there occasionally for tech news though. I saw a link to that thread on the main page.
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well for what it's worth, that guy appears to be a complete troll. I'm no BSD-fan or even a BSD-user, but I still think what that guy is saying is at least 90% Complete Bullshit(tm). Some people have already called him out on those forums, and of course he can't substantiate any of his claims... classic troll behaviour.

I think someone should fork the entire BSD codebase and put it under GPL. That way, people working on it could be sure their work couldn't be usurped and closed down, and BSD could finally become a viable alternative OS, outside of niche applications.
heminder Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Professional
Yeah. The thread does have a few good points. If it wasn't for the BSD license Macintosh would be completely different or even wouldn't exist. Copyleft licenses work best. The license is really short too. I read it and it was only a few sentences :P
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I think it would still exist... after all BSD is only a part of Mac OS, and it only uses parts of BSD, they don't even use the same kernel IIRC.

But yeah, the BSD license sucks. It's pretty much the same as putting your work in public domain.
(1 Reply)
DFX4509B Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
What does that make Solaris? :giggle:
dem0lecule Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
Hmm, somewhere between nerds and leets.
:iconshieldforyoureyes:
shieldforyoureyes Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
BSD on my desktop, firewall, and any other small machines.

Solaris on the main server.

IRIX on the compute server.

What's that make me? Ha ha. (Yeah, yeah: "obsolete".)
dem0lecule Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
It makes you a man, then? :D

I think Arch Linux is the only Linux distro that can compete with BSD family. Maybe Backtrack... Still, OpenBSD is downright secure.
:iconshieldforyoureyes:
shieldforyoureyes Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
I learnt *nix on a VAX-11/750 running 4.3BSD in 1986, and have been a BSD fan ever since. I'll only deviate from it on large/exotic hardware.

Although, to be honest, it only matters when doing admin tasks. Aside from that, my environment is my window manager config, and my shell setup. Neither of those vary between BSD, Linux, and commercial Unix.
heminder Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Professional
I wouldn't generalise desktop Linux as being for nerds. Even an idiot like me can use Mint or Debian. It definitely used to be nerds-only about 10-15 years ago when it was still rough around the edges. Nowadays I find it's really polished. Much more polished than my Windows experiences.

I'd say it's more political than it is technical.
dem0lecule Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
Well, well, well. Linux isn't just about that fancy GNOME or KDE. How about the shell? Give me a one-line command that help you find exactly MAC address in your system? How about some BASH/KSH/CSH?

Debian distros are for newbies who newly migrates from Window. Red Hat? Arch? Slackware. 7 out of 10 people who I helped to set up Linux had been yapping about how difficult these can be.

I don't find any of these difficult because I have used all these for years. But hey I am using Ubuntu because it's the only distro that WINE can handle stuff correctly.
heminder Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Professional
Only a sadist would suggest for a new adopter to use Arch and Slackware. I'm not surprised at all that they found those difficult. Why did you do that? :P

You're effectively dismissing Debian as a user-friendly distro, while sticking a "Linux is for nerds" label on all of them, and simultaneously showing the "non-nerds keep out" mentality. Way to go nerd.

Virtually every person I've recommended a friendly Linux distro to has told me that it's fairly simple to install and maintain without even needing to use the command line. Nine times out of ten every piece of hardware works out of the box without needing tweaking. They enjoy the superior performance of the OS and not needing to scrap their hardware every few years.
dem0lecule Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
Nine times out of ten every piece of hardware works out of the box without needing tweaking
Only a sadist would suggest for a new adopter to use Arch and Slackware. I'm not surprised at all that they found those difficult. Why did you do that?

That would defeat the purpose of Linux, doesn't it? Freedom and rights to tweak whatever you want on your own box. I was giving people their rights, they just weren't ready for it. This is the superior of Linux, that you mentioned.

I usually comparing being nerd with someone that's knowledgeable/expert on what they do. But yeah, I was an ass on that, I apologize.
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
For some people, the Purpose of linux is to show off their perceived superiority to others because they managed to learn how to shell script.

For others, it's to have a great OS for free that also respects the freedoms of the user unlike certain proprietary systems.
heminder Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Professional
Well they will still have all the rights to tweak their system even if they use a friendly distro, that's the beauty of free and open source. Default builds on pre-configured distros are sufficient for 99% of people. Power users and developers are of course welcome to use Arch, Gentoo, etc...
:iconmuhalovka:
Muhalovka Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012
Look, here is my advice:

Do NOT listen to the whole "mac/pc" bullshit. Whatever suits you better - apple products tend to be more expensive, but if that's what you want then go ahead. I have an imac at home, its pretty old but its fairly good. Im using a PC almost all the time though. Both can be used excessively in design software. If you want to game, ofcourse go with the pc.

It also depends on the specs of the computers. You need a powerful machine to run maybe a few programs at a time smoothly. If you want to run programs such as ZBrush, youd need at least 8 GB of ram to be able to have decent detail in the meshes

Now lets have a look at availability:

Adobe programs are available both on Macs, and PCs - so that's graphicdesign, webdesign, drawing pretty much wrapped up - photoshop, flash, dreamweaver, illustrator.

3D Programs - personally I use Blender and ZBrush, both of which can be installed on the Mac and PC. Many also use 3Ds Max and Maya, which Im pretty sure both can be ran on Macs and PCs

In the longrun, it's the actual OS interference that suits you most. Many designers use both Macs AND PCs. Remember, they're just tools - one is not better than the other

SO, I think realistically you should compare the raw specs and prices of the products
:iconoliveandrews:
OliveAndrews Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012
I love my Mac, but I would say choose Windows.
I choose Mac because I love the easy interface, the beautiful design, and lack of viruses.
But if I need to use a range of specific software, I need Windows. Finding software that is supported by Mac is extremely difficult. You often need to install additional software on a Mac in order to run Windows software. You will need Wine, you might even need to run Windows on your Mac, but still have complications with running the software to its full capability.
:iconshoppingmonk:
ShoppingMonk Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012
Always Windows... supports all types of software's easy to get and easy to use
:iconshoppingmonk:
ShoppingMonk Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012
Always Windows....fully portable to all types of software and easy to use
:iconregsinfield:
RegSinfield Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
I will go with Windows OS. One of the main reasons are it is a widely used OS, so you won't have any issue using it when you go to any school, college/uni and/or office.

Currently I'm using Windows 7 OS and it is quite decent. But I might go for a dual boot with Windows 8. I've a genuine copy of Windows 8.

[link]
DFX4509B Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I'll go with neither. Ubuntu > Windows or Mac.
ShadowMaker-241 Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I would go with Windows since Mac is a Linux ripoff ever since OS X came out.

But if you're wanting to start a business or wanting to be a professional artist, then go for a Mac.
DFX4509B Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Actually, Linux can work as good as Mac in the art world. GIMP, MyPaint, Inkscape, and Pinta.
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Don't forget Krita.

I don't get why people always forget it, it's awesome.
heminder Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Professional
...and Inkscape and Alchemy.

Oh and Blender too.
Add a Comment: