Closed to new replies
December 12, 2011
Link

Statistics

Replies: 3

GFXUI.exe = malware?

:iconriegella:
Riegella Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2011  Hobbyist Writer
I started up my laptop today, and I find that AVG has removed a program called GFXUI.exe, labeling it as malware. However, when I went to search for it, some posts said it was actually a legitimate Windows process, but others went with it being a malware. I'm not sure what to believe. I'm running Windows 7 with an Intel Core i3 btw. Should I have it deleted, restore it...? I appreciate any help.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconshadee:
shadee Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2011  Hobbyist General Artist
Often malware will name itself after system files to make them look inconspicuous. Check out your AVG log and see where it found the file, then find out if that's where the legit system file is supposed to be. If not, chances are the real thing is still there. If it was in the right place then before restoring it I would see if it's been listed as a known false positive on the AVG site. If you can't find anything about it you could always e-mail them about it.
:iconriegella:
Riegella Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2011  Hobbyist Writer
There's no file path...I'm guessing it really is a malware.
:iconshadee:
shadee Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2011  Hobbyist General Artist
From what I could find it looks like the real version of the file is the GUI for the Intel onboard video. So it's just the control panel software. If you still have your mainboard's drivers it should be easy enough to reinstall even if it ends up having been legit after you delete it.
Add a Comment: