need advice about Cintiqs .( specially those grey ones with intuos 3 tech)

Guys .. folks .. 
                        Im tempted to buy a tablet monitor ..  I have  around 1000 bucks (USD)  (by arround I mean ..I can stretch a bit more .. but .. honestly I dont want to pay way more ..coz I need to upgrade my other stuff :P
  anyway here´s the thins ..( if someone was using or still use the old 21 ux or 20 wsx cintiqs -those with grey frames ..  would be helpful  their thoughts ) 

lately I saw lot of good deals on ebay ..  some cintiqs 21 ux dtz  and 20 wsx (wider version of the 21 ux)     I spot some of them in almost pristine conditions on ebay ..
and really dirty cheap ..
                               ..like around 500 ish u$d .  
    but .. they are old (?) (I still see some people using them ..) 
 are they screen  so bad  compared to  newer ones? 
  here where I live ..I experienced with a grey 21 ux  once and I dont rember it so "bad" ..     
 aand
        .. there s those  alternatives (in the good sens of that word ) 
 like HUION , XP PEN (22" and 16" ),Yiynova .. etc.. 
 prices : 550 and up to 900 u$d 

although I did my research on youtube review..forums etc..
 would be great to hear your thoughts ..specially if there are those who experienced or had real contact with  old grey cintiqs  ,newer 22hd line . cintiqs ..and  those alternatives

so ..  for all you guys ..   would you go for a grey cintiq  if its in good healt and contidion? 
    or better go for a cintiq alternative ? ( huion ,xp pen, yiynova ..) 

Im tempted by some of those old wacoms .. but worry about  color..screen etc..
     I dont care so much for the pressure levels  thing.
 cintiq alternatives  ..  I fear they could have also quality issues.  better screen .but  drivers not so mature  like wacom´s  (?)
 quality control.. etc. 

thanks 

Comments15
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I have the 21 UX Cintiq, There are certainly some things to know about it. Once you do, It'll probably last you many, many, many, many years.
1. They are prone to hot weather burning. I've had to send my screen back for replacement 2 times already. However, once I figured out you cannot lay it flat over your legs and use it, or use it on hot days, ie, over 32 degrees Celsius I've had zero problems. Initially, the thing to look out for on screen burning issues are black holes on the screen, about the size of a pencils flat end. They can be difficult to see, but if found, avoid it. They'll catch your eye when using the device and scrolling artwork. They are so irritating that it's painful.
2. Software can be flaky. So You may have to download prior versions or update your whole OS and dependent components till it works. I've often had the software fail over time, even though nothing was done. Then you have to spend potentially hours fixing it.
3. The 21 UX is pretty heavy. I could never use it properly until I bought a swing arm and mounted it on that. So I can lay in comfort and draw till the cows come home.
4. While not feature loaded like the new ones, it's still has a super quality screen.
5. One of the MOST important things is to go to the art shop and buy transparent acrylic sheets. You know those cover pages that protect documents. Buy the A3 variety. Why? The pens DO scratch the screen, especially when it's warmed up. Putting an acrylic page over the screen means 2 things, your screen will never scratch and the pen feels more like pen-on-paper. Honestly this really is the most important thing.
6. 3d printer filament, especially the soft type is identical to the pen nibs. So, you can save a literal fortune by going to a 3d printing place and asking for a sample of 'soft' 3d printer material, one that fits the Ultimaker printer @ 2.85mm diameter. I'm yet to try the Ninja-flex stuff. The reason you do this, soft pen tips are awesome, they make everything feel like pen-to-paper, add that to the acrylic sheet, it's superior. Soft pen tips wear out quickly, filament is cheap and plentiful, you just need a pair of scissors. :)
So I LOVE my Cintiq 21UX. I'd love to upgrade, but, no real need.
Foxi!  thanks for the advice and the tips !  I was aware about the burn spots on the lcd .. but  didn´t know about  hot weather ,how this can affect them.   .. I heard they get hot (the ux screen)  
  and  its very good to know  about alternative  protective layers .. like  those acrylic sheets  (I think I know them I used them for other projects :D ) ..    
  so .. regarding screen quality .colors and all   they are not ips but  color is very good   (?) 
Colour is fantastic, the only thing that beats the Cintiq UX is the latest Apple hi res screens. Colour on my Cintiq, is utterly perfect really. When I transfer images to my laptop or desktop monitor, the images seem faded. So the vibrancy is awesome.

Probably good to never use the Cintiq flat across the desk either, heat transfers from the unit UP through the screen. So, vertical or angled would be ideal positioning.

I think above all else, you'd want to see the Cintiq in person. Don't pay for something you cant witness first hand. Move coloured images around on the screen and so on.
thanks  Foxi-5 ..     I was checking prices ..    if I found one in good condition  I will go with on of those 21 ux or 20 wsx  cintiqs ..   
                 last week  there were 1 20wsx  on ebay ..and it was  like "right out of the box -pristine conditions"     IM regreting now not buying it . 
:/ .        u are right  about   to try to see it in person .. but  almost impossible right now ...    
          regarding cintiqs  vs those new alternatives..       there s those  cintiqs 21 ux but  DTK ones ..    the previous  model to the 22hd´s ..
         they are around 600-700     really interesting  option  to huion,yiynova, xp pen ,..       used vs new . but still  they are wacom. 
Foxi-5    by the way ...  can you pleas tell me one more thing? .. its about  cintiq screen-glass thickness ...     from the surface were you put the tip of the pen..
to the bottom where the cursor of the tip is ..   in your opinion .. how much distance are there? ..  more or less ..    
thanks
Hi GreenViggen, looks like I've made a mistake with the filament size. It should be 1.75mm diameter. (I was using stuff from my older printer...)
Actually that is a problem IF you change seating position around the Cintiq a lot. However, when it comes time to do the calibration, your eye and the pointer should be done where you 'feel' it's best. So the gap distance is irrelevant. <- Yes really.  Do the calibration a few times and see what's best for you, the pointer and the gap.

I aim the pen from my eyeball to the screen when I do calibrations. (looking at the eraser directly). Ie, keep the pen in a straight line looking through one eye, predict where the pointer is and mark it in as best as you can. So that way, sitting in one position, everything feels lined up and perfect.
I had the 12wx and the screen was garbage, like, one of the worst I've seen, I ended working on a surface pro 3, even though the pen is way worse, cause I just couldn't trust the cintiq's color...

if you buy a cintiq, I'd recommend to at least get one from the 22hd generation but with 1000 I'd get the 13 pro, it's smaller, but it has a proper touchscreen and no parallax, also you can make it feel bigger by working vertically.

Right now, I'm working on a 27qhd and tbh it's almost annoyingly big, the perfect size imo is probably the 16 inch but that one is like 500 more than the 13... 
regency ..hi..  12wx     yes! totally agree  a friend of mine bought it ad regret it because of color accuracy ..dim screen  xP 
     about smaller  screens like the wacom cintiq 13hd , artisul 13 ... or Surface pro 4 .(5? too)    Im  not comfortable with the small size .. 
   many years used to 27 " inch monitor  ..     I like the idea of the cintiq 22hd   but for 1000 bucks ...    when I saw them   they were .. like .. kicked &bumped all over ..   
    besides ..  if possible I need to save bit of money .  
        16 is very nice  size! ..   but cintiq pro 16" are like 1500 kicks!   so out of my range..    
I guess you could try huion then, it's a bit of a gamble, but it's probably the closest you'll get to a cintiq for a decent price...
I'd rather go with the High end of the last generation vs the low end of the current generation.
Listogast .. thanks ..  you mean the 21 "dtk" ?     oh yeah!  u are right! .. I almost forgot about them ..   last time I checked  tehre were just a few one on ebay (like 2-3   and in not  good shape . :I )   
Well i'm talking more in general.  I'd rather go for a cheaper used cintiq than a brand new offbrand tablet.  Just because the cintiq is a top of the line tablet.
I have the same thoughts ..  but I have to admit that  alternative brands .. at least some of them   are starting to show more mature  compromise  ..  
    tempting price , and ..  (aahh I cant be  a cheap rat like this  -__-u  x3 )