Advice needed: A tablet for working on the train

So tomorrow my new internship will start - which means, for three months I will spent 3 hours a day sitting on subways, trains and busses. It really is a waste of time and I'd love to get some work done. I've been thinking of buying myself something that is the equivalent of a graphic design tablet that doesn't have to be connected to a computer.

At home I am working with a Wacom Intuos 3 and Photoshop CS6. In the past I have even tried putting the tablet on my laptop keyboard and then drawing - WHILE on the train - but it is rather uncomfortable - and heavy to carry around.

What I need is a small thing I can put in my rucksack and is easily to take out and put away. A device that lets me do scribbles and and inked or colored drawings. Possibly also to transfer the files (as e.g. png) to my computer later on and finish the details. (I have a Windows7-computer and a MacBook Pro.)

My first choice would be the Wacom Cintiq Companion

- if I had money .

I don't tough, at least not much. My budget is around 200 € (~212 $), maybe 50 € plus

Apparently normal tablets can be used for drawing as long as they have a high screen resolution, sensitive touch screen with pen and  - palm rejection?

I've heard the IPad does a good job for atists in that field? And the IPad mini is pretty cheap...
I've also read about alot of other tablet types but can't really decide if they are worth it or not.

If anyone can share some of their experiences or give me advice, I'd be SO happy. :) (Smile)
I'd also like to hear what software is good to draw on, I'd love PHotoshop, but I don't think that's an option (getting an extra license and all).

Looking forward to some helpful replies :aww:
Comments14
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Mh, it seems like a very good small tablet to me - altough I haven't found any reviews that use this for drawing. Or a pen that goes with it well. How well does it work for you?
I use the Surface 3, which has a pen sold separately. I recommended the one in the previous comment because you said your budget is about $200.

If you want the Surface 3 however, I recommend the 4GB RAM model which is $600 without the pen and keyboard.
Oh, allright. Thank you. :)
Mh, that sounds good. :) (Smile) Of course it's shaky on a train and all. I'm usually sketching on paper there, so I'm pretty used to it. 3 years now.
What sort of program do you use to draw? and can you work detailed or just...sketch-like? :) (Smile) 

Actually, DA has an app for ipad you can download for free that looks a lot like ps.
It's called "SketchBook".
oooh, righjt. I totally forgot about that. Thanks. ^^
You'd like an iPad but you might not get a new one for sure a small budget.
Have you ever drawn on one? Does it work similar to a Wacom Intuos or Bamboo?

Also, I'll be looking for a used one. I got my Intuos3 for 50 bucks on ebay years ago and despite having a few scratches it works fine. Tough I have a feeling that's not so common to happen with Apple-products...
I've never tried on a new iPad but my iPad 2 is alright to draw on. It's not like a Wacom at all - those are much better. But it's not unusable either. I mean, you're sketching on a train - gotta adjust your expectations accordingly. Although I'm sure new iPads are much nicer and there are pressure sensitive styluses out now

There are tons of used Apple products. You'll have no trouble finding something used or refurbished if you're willing to go that route :)
Mh, that sounds good. :) Of course it's shaky on a train and all. I'm usually sketching on paper there, so I'm pretty used to it. 3 years now.
What sort of program do you use to draw? and can you work detailed or just...sketch-like? :)
I used procreate and liked it. I haven't used it in a long time though so I'm sure there are a lot of other apps out there now. You can do detailed work with it no problem.
Allright. Thanks alot! :)