Sound too low/muffled/distorted on Windows 7

I use Windows 7 on a Lenovo 7760 monitor with internal speakers, and up until recently, I've enjoyed almost crystal-clear sound. However, when I started up the computer one day, I got a message from my AVG antivirus software saying there was a threat that needed to be taken care of (I didn't pay attention to what the threat was), so naturally, I had AVG delete the threat, and when I tried to play a YouTube video, the sound volume was too low, and when I tried to raise the volume on my computer, the sound, not just in the YouTube videos, but everywhere else on my computer, was distorted/muffled-sounding and not at all crystal-clear like I was used to.

So, naturally, I tried everything I could think of, such as disable sound effects on my Realtek HD audio driver, select a higher audio bitrate, disable sound effects, install a new and better Realtek driver, install the official Microsoft audio driver, and some other things I forget but I'll remember if I've done them if they're suggested to me, but nothing seems to be working? Will I have to live with low-quality audio for the rest of my life, or is there a way to fix this?

EDIT: OK, I've just discovered that the problem with the sound on my computer is there's too much bass and too little treble, but I'm still at a loss as to how to fix it, any suggestions?

Comments9
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Also check the drivers, if you have a realtek Sound card and a nVidia Video card look if nvidia installed a virtual audio card
OK, but I don't see what that has to do with anything :confused:
The nVidia Virtual sound driver interferes with the Realtek Sound driver (I tell you by experience I was having that issue a month ago), if both are present on your system disable the nVidia Sound one, that can help to reduce distortions on the sound
OK, I'll try that, but I don't think I have the nVidia one
Check the drivers in anycase, and try a difernt speackers/headphones, maybe that causes the issue
OK, I'll try all that
It sounds like a false positive and should be simple to fix:
Open AVG.
Open menu Options.
Select Virus Vault.
You should see the deleted file here.
Click Details to display more information about the removed infection.
"Restore" will restore the file to its original location.
thanks, I'll try that :)