Tablet Suggestions

OK, so I haveca slow, crappy, generic tablet that doesn't even display colors correctly. I had originally bought it to use for a media device like watching movies and downloading pictures and fun videos, and for low graphic games, so I wasn't all that picky. But now I'm wanting to learn how to draw better digitally. This tablet requires be to do slow strokes or it sheers, making my curves polygonal.

So, what I'm wanting is a faster tablet. Not an art specialized tablet, but something that will let me use quick strokes, have at least close to accurate color (srsly, deep purple/grey on here turns out light pink on other devices), and with high enough resolution that things aren't obviously pixely.

I would need to save up for this, and can only save around $20-$30 a month, and would like to be able to get it within 6 months or so. So my budget is about $100-$160. The model can be an older one as long as it draw semi-smoothly.
Comments38
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Any that fit into the $100-$160 price range?
If drawing directly on screen is a must, then the only option is to get yourself an old used Windows tablet with stylus. Particularly the Motion LE1700. I bought mine for $130.
THANK YOU! someone with a real suggestion that isn't "you cant buy anything that will work for less then $500". People seem to assume I want brand new, top of the line bs T.=.T I just want viable functionality. Thats all.

So what are the specs like on that tablet? Also what's the screen size like because i have a carry case/keyboard for my current tablet that I would like to use if at all possible.
They're pretty old low-powered tablets, so don't expect a power house. Though, they're still pretty capable for SAI and Sketchbook Pro and other old applications such as Flash MX. as for the size, the LE1700 only comes with 12 inch screen, much like a cintiq 12wx, except the LE1700 has 4:3 aspect ratio (more like square shaped).

Mine came with Intel Core Solo 1.2GHz and 2GB ram. Paint tool SAI worked like a dream with this little machine, so did sketchbook pro. If you can find one with Core2Duo processor it'll run photoshop just fine, though they run for $300 for a used tablet and $200 for a salvaged working unit.

Make sure to buy the one with VIEWANYWHERE screen. Higher resolution IPS for better color productivity, unfortunately mine came with the regular XGA screen and it really sucks.
Hmm. I think it should fit in my case. Its only like 11", so it will stick out the sides, and the clip that holds the tablet in extends a few inches
Then Aliexpress is your only option.... or ebay.... 

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab..... But I admit that it's easier for me to draw on my ipad mini because of the screen proportions.... It all depends on how you like to draw nd how large the paper is....I was just stating  personal preference... My family got the Galaxy tab through Sprint or something... 

Then there are the Fire HD tablets...6,  7 and 8 ******

You can try to buy the Asus transformer tablet used.... That's a really good deal... 
View all replies
Hell no..... Unless you can find a used ipad 2.... 

Standalones start at like $500

regular - no screen- start at like $40 and go up to like $400
O_o an older model android I've seen for $250 new, stand alone. Apple is just way over priced and I would never even consider getting something from that company even if it wasn't overpriced. Android and windows has much more affordable, and imho, better devices.
If  you are looking for devices not specifically made for Drawing/art...

Just get a tablet [Samsung or W/e] with your phone plan... 
Cricket doesnt have tablet plans. I use wifi with mine. It doesn't need to be drawing specific as I stated in the topic description. Just needs to be smooth enough for me to learn to draw digitally.
You want this standalone and not just a pen display? What are you using now?
I'm using a 9x6? Tablet with android kit at. It has pitiful specs, and its model... Is just letters and numbers without a brand name. I literally cannot find ANY record of what it is ANYWHERE on the internet. Thats how generic it is XD

I don't have a working laptop/pc so it must be a stand alone. Also I want to have it be the same size. I have a nice case/keyboard that came with the tablet and I wouldn't want to to goto waste.
There aren't a lot of options for decent tablets for art.

Looking at the rest of the thread your requirements aren't going to work. You're simply not going to find what you're looking for. If you're dead-set on a sub $160 Android tablet with paypal your best bet is a used Galaxy Note 10.1 on eBay. I doubt you'd find one for that cheap but you might get lucky.
Seriously, all I want is not having the sheering and ok visual specs. Nothing fancy at all. I want my colors to be close enough that its not entirely a different color when I look at it from another device, and my curves to be curves XD
For your budget it's not happening. 

Your best bet is a Companion 2 or Surface Pro 3 but those are expensive. If you want good color iPads own that territory but you won't do Apple so that's out. Galaxy notes have lesser screens and cost as much as iPads so if you want to make the overpriced argument those are also overpriced. 

I don't know what to tell ya, you're going to probably need to spend over 1k to really get what you want. Or a used Galaxy note 10.1 migh work for you. Depends what you can find. 
Ok, so your telling me you only know of the expensive tech, and new models. Ok.
You get what you pay for. If you want to go cheap and old pick up a Fujitsu stylistic on eBay. They were used in hospitals and are dirt cheap these days. They're alright, I have an old one I got about 8 years ago. If you do get one see if you can get one that'll run windows 8. XP doesn't work so well with tablets - plus you'll be stuck with old software. 

If you want to be a dick about it then I won't bother helping you anymore :shrug: 
View all replies
Huion's tablets are pretty good, cheap, and high quality
I have a H610 and I love it )b
With your budget, you should be able to afford the H610 less than three months
Oh really? Is there a site thats best to get it on?
I got mine off of amazon but I you could but it directly off of the website too ( huiontablet.com ) though you'd have to pay for shipping aswell

Edit: I saw your other comment and the huion tablets aren't for standalone (well, there is one product that is but you'd have to pay a lot of money for it)
Ah, yah, cant use amazon. They refuse to accept PayPal which is how I get money. Its basically my bank account.
Sorry, I hope you find a good tablet soon!
Or at least a viable one XD