Is it safe to use my computer without no CPU fan installed?

Please read this forum post as I'm going to explain what happened.

On the night of Friday, 27 March 2015, I had a technician remove the dead CPU fan from the CPU_FAN 4-pin connector on my motherboard and I felt that with no CPU fan installed, I left the computer off for more than two weeks and counting.

Worst yet, due to neglect, I'm starting to see dust particles on top of the power supply and hard drive. I kinda regret keeping my computer off for that long. I would not even want to think about cleaning the dust off of my computer as I still remain the end user.

Before I try to use the computer again, tell me this.

I only have the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO passive CPU cooler installed on the processor inside my motherboard.

Since there is only the passive CPU cooler and no CPU fan installed, is it safe to operate the computer without the CPU fan installed?

Post your thoughts.
Comments86
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
If I'm not mistaken, the Noctua is a little more efficient than the old Cooler Master, so a lower speed is expected and desirable - less noise and less wear for the same performance :) Glad you're up and running again.
Thank you so much for the wonderful compliment! :hug: I'm really happy with the way I'm running with the Noctua fan instead of the stock Cooler Master fan. So far, the CPU temperature has dropped to around 34°C to 38°C as it hasn't been running any CPU intense software at this time.
My computer is up and running again after 22 days with a Noctua NF-S12A fan! :)

The CPU fan speed is reporting around 900 RPM. In order to get the CPU fan to fit on the side of the Hyper 212 EVO cooler, mounting brackets had to be taken out of the non-functioning stock CPU fan and into the new one.
I'll be honest, when I read the title, I thought you mean cpu without heatsink, that's probably what most users thought of it that way.

Technically, you can. But you'll have to underclock/undervoltage the CPU or set the processor power management to 5% maximum in power option and the case to have a good ventilation. I'd still keep an eye on temps using real temp or core temp.

The 212 EVO fan is very cheap to replace. Save yourself the trouble and buy another 120mm fan.
The computer which has an AMD CPU is not designed to run without a CPU fan. I'm gonna have to wait for a replacement fan.
Umm I don't think you should run it without a heat sink. Try replacing it instead of running it without.
Thanks for telling me. :) It's always a good idea to leave the computer off...rather than risk running it without a working CPU fan.
No it's not safe. Seriously, just put a fan on the thing, no biggie  - a 3-pin fan will work just fine as well. You don't need a technician to do it, this is simple. This happened over the weekend to my wife's computer. I was cleaning it and realized that the CPU fan was dead - (which explains why she said that the thing was acting weird, oops). I generally keep a few spare items around and got out a 120mm fan and installed it. (It has an i7 processor with a custom cooler similar to yours). End of story :) 
Thanks for the help. I knew that it was NOT safe to run the computer with NO CPU fan installed. I do have a CPU fan, but it's a Noctua NF-S12A model.
That's perfectly fine, really. Install it and be happy :)
Thanks. I'll see what I can do. :)
Doing the following will not void your warranty.

1. Blow the dust out of the machine with compressed air, like from a shop vac set to blow instead of suck (put the hose on the exhaust port.) You might need to remove the service cover. Doing so is necessary if you want that machine to outlive its warranty since dust collects on all electronic things and must be cleaned about every 45 days or so.

2. Insect the insides very carefully for loose wires and such. Make sure all connections are tight and no foreign matter remains inside the case. Do not power up the machine at this time. It is unsafe to do so. Running the rig without a CPU fan will void the warranty, although the machine will likely shut down before any real damage is done.

3. Send the dead Cooler Master fan back to the factory for a replacement. You will need to fill out an RMA on the fan. There is no need to replace the heat sink since there is nothing wrong with it. Leave it attached unless you suspect that the thermal grease has failed. Usually when a fan fails, it causes the CPU to get hot enough to bake the grease. If so, remove the heat sink, clean it and the CPU with a lint free cloth lightly moistened with 91% isopropyl alcohol. Reinstall the heat sink with a bead of new thermal grease between the mating surface and the CPU.

3. Replace the CPU cooler fan with a Noctua F12-PWM. This  fan moves a lot more air than the stock fan and it is whisper quiet. Yes it is ugly. Yes it is expensive. But your box is worth the price if you want it to live a long time without buying fan after fan that fails. The Noctua fan has a six year guarantee for 24/7/365 operation.

4. Boot up the system and verify normal operation. Run a tool like Prime95 to test for weakness and fix any problems it finds.
I already got the Noctua NF-S12A for $35.01 and since I'm not allowed to use it until further noticed, I got burned. :(

But even so, I'm not going to use the NF-S12 fan, would it still work on the Hyper 212 EVO? I want to do some research before I go ahead and get it installed.

I suspect that it would be very time consuming to clean out all of the dust on electronical components on the computer, but it should be worth it...but it should be a big help. Thank you! :hug:

Since I have only the passive CPU cooler, then I'm gonna have to leave it off as using the computer case WITHOUT the CPU fan installed WILL void the warranty, not just on the Hyper 212 EVO, but the whole computer!
It tales five minutes to blow the air out of a computer case. Poof. Done. It takes longer to remove the lid and put it back on than it does to clean it up. The lid removes with just two screws. Piece of cake.

Listen. Put the Noctua fan on the CPU heat sink and use the machine. Toss the old fan. It is done working. Otherwise, get your money back on the whole computer, not just an economy cooler from a third party. Who ever told you that you cannot make the fix is full of shit. You warranty ain't worth doodly squat if it keeps you from using what you paid for. Now get to it..

The Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 is nothing special. It is a good sink with a crappy fan. The sleeve bearing is a dead giveaway to cost cutting. Yes, I researched the thing in depth for you. Chalk it up to a 15 dollar loss, which is what the original fan costs at retail, though it is actually a five dollar sleeve bearing fan at wholesale. Cheap, cheap, cheap. The noctua is a perfect replacement since it is also a 120mm fan, like the one you are replacing, but much better.

The Noctua fan will give you a vast improvement in TDP, even in prolonged Turbo Boost mode, as well as greatly reduced noise even under full load. The RPM is only one spec when considering a fan and it alone means very little. There is also static pressure. The Noctua fan is designed to push air through a sink like the cooler master unit. It is an improvement of over 75% in all areas, so the price for that brown and tan spinner is well worth it.

If your warranty disagrees with this, it is not worth the paper it is printed on, since not fixing it would be considered neglect, voiding the contract instantly. See what I mean? A warranty is only as good as the paper it is written on, and in this case, that would not be worth a damn.
Thank you so much for telling me. I'm gonna have to do something about this computer rather than not being allowed to fix it. :)
Glad to be of service. :D

Be your own service and support person. Warranties are written to make lawyers rich, not save your bacon. You have enough knowledge to do what it takes to keep your computer running, so take matters into your own hands. If you wait on retail warranty support, you are backing up. Replacing a CPU fan is not going to void any warranties. You have the fan lying there. Stick it in, boot up, and go. The same clips that held the original whatchamacallit sleeve bearing thingy with its noisy blades modeled after 747 jet intake fans will hold that fancy Austrian masterpiece that runs whisper quiet. Be sure to employ all of the dampening tabs required to mechanically isolate the fan from the heat sink. All fans make noise, but some are really quiet, like the Noctua unit.

My company has been building high end workstations for professional use since 1996. We always try to use the best parts we can at prices within the reach of our customers. We do not cut corners since our machines are not cheap. They are built for heavy duty use and longevity of up time. We assemble machines that run at half power under full load. They last a really long time as a result. Although they are guaranteed for five years, we still have machines doing fine after ten. So go ahead. Take charge of it. The matter is in your hands. Install the new fan. Enjoy better performance. And know that your CPU will not overheat ever again for at least five to seven more years if you keep the system clean. Dirt kills electronics. Heat just finishes them off...
Wonderful! :thumbsup:

Dirt does kill electronics if I neglect and/or leave the computer off for a indefinite period of time without a working CPU fan.
Dirt only kills when the power is on. The rest of the time, it just gets dirtier. Clean first. Then power.
View all replies
Uh, no. Get a new fan.
Thank you. I already got a new fan. But I'm not allowed to unless I risk voiding the warranty on the Hyper 212 EVO fan.
I wouldn't think changing the fan would void the warranty.  How else would you clean the heatsink if you can't remove the fan?
They woudln't know anyway.
The Hyper 212 EVO comes with a two-year warranty that will expire in late February of next year. The CPU fan on top of the passive CPU cooler has already been removed. Since I'm the end-user, I can't clean anything during AVA Direct's three-year warranty period.
Pretty sure you can.

Who's going to tell them anyway?

Also
  • Problems that result from:
    • External causes such as accident, abuse, misuse, or problems with electrical power
    • Servicing not authorized by AVADirect
    • Usage that is not in accordance with product instructions
    • Failure to follow the product instructions or failure to perform preventive maintenance
    • Failure to follow AVADirect's technical support or RMA instructions including improper packaging
That means cleaning. Severe dust buildup can cause overheating, shorts, and fires.
I still can't. This is per AVA Direct's policies.

I regret that I have been failing to follow the product instructions or failing to perform preventive maintenance due to time constraints.

Severe dust buildup is NOT good for computers at all.
View all replies