Clorox stains on laptop screen

I just bought a new laptop, its screen was beautiful and new. My roommate, bless her heart, wanted to clean up around my desk while I was at school, the day I did not taker my laptop and she rubbed the screen down with clorox wipes. Now there are somewhat annoying filmy streaks across the screen.

Is there any effective and safe way to clean the stains off to make my laptop screen look as good as new again?

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you!
Comments9
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
First try a glass cleaner like Windex on a soft cloth. Windex should be non-damaging, I use it all the time to clean my displays, just don't let it sit long or use an excessive amount.

If it has an antiglare coating, you can, if you feel capable, is take the display apart and remove top most layer of the lcd panel. I'm assuming it is an antiglare variety since most reflective screens have either a glass or plastic sheet that should generally be resistant to corrisve surfactants.

This guide will show you how to do it hardforum.com/showthread.php?t…
After removing the outer layer, replace it with a screen protector film to protect the delicate polarizer layer (the important bit that makes it work) - e.g. www.amazon.com/Goliton%C2%AE-A… just get the right size for your laptops screen.

Since its new, you can try returning it to the store for replacement or RMA with the manufacture; just don't mention how it got like that, the less they know, the better.
Thank you! I'll be sure to try it.
Depending on the manufacturer, the laptop's warranty, and how long you've had it, you might be able to RMA. Otherwise, look online to see if you can get a replacement screen and swap out the damaged screen yourself.
try hydrogen peroxide ?
If a damp soft cloth (think cleaning glasses) doesn't remove the streaks then she destroyed the screen. Since it's new you could just return it and say it was like that when you bought it :shrug: not particularly honest but there's no guarantee that the coating won't degrade more over time now that it's had bleach on it.
Sorry to say that chlorine bleach is corrosive and will permanently damage a surface like that. I'd wipe it down with a soft cloth slightly moistened with just clear water to get rid of any bleach residue.
Try placing a sheet of glass in front of the monitor just to see how it looks. It might help to make a cover for it like that... don't know what else might help...
I'll have to try that, thank you.