Max Ram for Toshiba Satellite?

I use a Toshiba Satellite C855-S5214 laptop and I would like to upgrade the ram.
I currently have 4 GB's right now, is the max 16?
Comments10
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
The Intel Pentium B970 supports up to 16GB of RAM. Usually manufacturer specs are conservative (and cnet specs are wrong) and computers can often handle more than is printed.

I think you could put 16 in there. Worth trying. Any friends with 16GB of ram that would let you try it before you buy?
Unfortunately not. But I found a manual for my computer and it can support only 8. ; v ;
Thanks for helping!
It'll do 16. The toshiba specs are probably wrong for reasons already stated. Get it from crucial, they guarantee their stuff. If it doesn't work you can just return it.
Yes, I saw your comment. It doesn't really matter what Toshiba says they'll support because their listed max is what they'll sell you, not a technical limitation. Sometimes those are the same things, but not always.  

The processor can address 16GB over two channels. The laptop has two channels. The ram slots are directly wired to the cpu. Toshiba has nothing to do with it and there is every reason to expect 16 will work fine. Max memory is a processor limitation for Intel chips. 

And if the op is unsure they can buy from crucial that tested the laptop with 16 and has a guarantee. 
Oh okay... I thought that other functions of the motherboard might get in the way of that. If it's purely a cpu - ram relationship, then that's very useful to know :)
It used to be the case that the motherboard handled that stuff with a northbridge chip but they've now moved all of the memory management onto the CPU itself. The motherboard is pretty much just wires.

There are some concerns with how much power a board can supply - more memory takes more power and generates more heat. But, realistically that's not going to be a problem in this case.
The max should be 8: www.cnet.com/products/toshiba-…

-well 8 is a respectable number, I'm running 8 myself.
That makes sense. :'D
What programs do you run and how well do they run, if you don't mind me asking.