What kind of nibs do you use for your wacom tablet?

Some people use nibs that you buy, and others use nibs that you can make at home.

If you use the ones that you buy, what kind do you like?

If you make them like I do, what do you make them out of? I make mine out of weedtrimmer line and before I started using weedtrimmer line I used toothpicks. I use the weedtrimmer line now because I like the feel a little better and they last longer. My last nib lasted me four months and the only reason why I replaced it was because I felt like making a new one.
Comments18
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
My tablet is about 5 years old, and I'm still using the original pen nib. It's worn down quite a bit, but not yet at the point of needing a replacement. Then again, I really only use my computer/pen for cleaning, lettering, and coloring. ^_^;
I've never had a wacom tablet... and therefore I only have experience with the hard plastic nibs.
I remember asking what the diffrence even was... I bet i'd like the felt tips because I prefer the feel or markers on paper rather than pens on paper
I'll only using the nibs that came with my intuos small tablet for a while. But I'm curious, how do you make nibs out of toothpicks? :O
If you want I can send you the tutorial.
Yesss, link me to the toothpick nib tutorial pls :D
I just got a tablet. The toothpick nib thing might come in handy later on.
After getting my intuos pro last year I've replaced the nib twice. First was to the felt tip one and the more recent was back to the standard tip. I didn't really notice any difference with the felt nib, so I just kind of shrugged it off and went back to the standard plastic. Maybe it's because I don't work digitally enough, but I really don't understand the need for so many different types when the all make they don't effect the outcome.
I've noticed that at first the felt nib doesn't feel much different but as it wears down it has a lot more drag than a plastic nib, so it's more like a marker on paper. I like it to combat the super-slick surfaces of some of the tablets I've used; I feel like I have more control. I've also switched to the spring nib a few times when I want more line variation since it exaggerates any pressure changes you have when you draw. The flex nibs feel like rubber on the surface so they create a LOT of drag, which is helpful when you're trying to be precise. I guess if you haven't spent many hours using each of them it's hard to tell the difference, though :giggle:
also when it's not my primary medium I don't really care to explore as much.
That is very valid :nod:
I buy mine from Wacom since I prefer the felt nib and the rubbery one with the light rubbery ball inside the black plastic (I'm sure it has a name, I just don't know it). Those are ones that you can't really make yourself, however for $10 I can buy enough of them to last me several years.
You mean the flex nibs?
Thems the ones :dummy:
Thank you. I had completely forgotten the name. I only look it up when I need to order them every few years :giggle:
I guess that Wacoms are quite costly.=(
depends on the kind
I couldn't agree with you more, Sara.:meow:
I buy them from wacom. 5 dollars for 5 nibs (which will last me upwards of 8 months) is well worth knowing that what I'm using is most certainly what will work.