Can I charge my Wacom tablet wireless accessory with out a usb wire??

My cable USB port has died in my wacom intuos 5 and the wireless battery cannot be charged except through that cord plugged into the computer! This is the stupidest thing I've ever seen, since similar batteries (i.e camera batteries) can all be charged with a wall outlet charger! So now, my $400 tablet is worthless all because wacom won't release the parts to repair a broken USB port.

Has anyone found a way around this??? Or another way to charge the wireless battery??

PLEASE HELP! 
Comments24
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
contact wacom, if it's still under warranty you should be able to get a replacement.
Yes I'll contact them, but I've had it for 2-3 years so I doubt it's under warranty :/
Wacom is retarded... I created a board about this before....

You can fix the usb port. There are explanations on Youtube.

I was looking for a wall charger. No one on the board could answer my question.
Wacom definitely needs some more competition. I should be able to charge my tablet without connecting it to the computer. I should be able to charge the battery for the wireless kit without having it in the product....

Instead, they expect me to mail a tablet to them....
You talked to Wacom about this and they wanted you to mail the tablet to them?
:/... Well, the other alternative is to sort of resolder it yourself.....
I bought a Wacom a few days ago. If I get a wireless kit I'll design and make a wall charger for us. It's like two hours of work :meow:
DataStream - 6 foot Premium USB Charging Cable- Works w/Wacom Bamoo, Intuos4 & Intuos5 Writing Tablets - Black

I can find cords that work with it....

DX... On that note I'm not sure if it was just a particular wall outlet. Seeing as it was possible to charge my phone and ipad with that outlet the tablet should have been charging....

Might try the one closest to the tv... ehh...

Let me know which charger works. I think I've tried with both the ipad and nook wall chargers (but with the wacom cord...) ....
Oh, you can for sure charge them if you have the USB cord. That's universal for a reason. As long as you have enough current from your converter you'll be fine, and I'm sure the tablet doesn't draw much (the battery in the tablet is roughly the same as an iPhone battery)

I mean a wall charger that you can charge only the battery, like you can do with a camera. So that with a broken usb port you can still use the tablet wirelessly :)
V.V.... Either it charges at a snail's pace or I can't get it charge.... I can't tell. 
If it won't charge it's not getting enough current.
-@.... I could plug it in where the dryer and washer machines are and it wouldn't charge. I figure that I'm just a tad bit slow...
View all replies
Is it the USB cable on the tablet that doesn't work or is it the USB port on the computer that doesn't work.

If the cable is the problem, it might be a broken wire some where. If it is at the circuit board inside the tablet, a quick resoldering might fix it. A dead battery might also be the problem as well. In any case it sounds like some disassembly will be needed to at least diagnose/fix the problem with the tablet.

Try also downloading any PDF files from wacom.com about you unit. There should be some useful information there about the tablet to help replace/repair components of the tablet. But sounds like you have done that.

Another thing, maybe try searching youtube for any repair videos/mods for your model of tablet. Someone may have already gone through the same dilemma and fixed the issue and made a video tutorial about it. It is worth a try at least. 
Thank you. It's the port on the tablet. I've tried a few different cords to the tablet and none work. When you pug them in, you can feel the loose connection, it wiggles in the port. I know it's not the computer; I've used that USB for other things since. 

Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't seen any PDFs yet, I'll give that a try. Also youtube. It's just that I'm hesitant to dissesemble it myself because I know nothing of the workings of electronics and I've heard it's easy to damage the pressure sensor or something! 
Sounds like the USB connector worked loose of its attachments or connections to the circuit board somehow and is no longer making electrical contact with the printed circuit board inside the case. Even if the battery was charged, the tablet would likely send position information intermittently to the computer. Not too much use that way.

I wouldn't risk opening the tablet up yourself, if you are not comfortable in doing so.

Sounds like the USB port is poorly designed to me. Tablets get moved around quite a bit, so the cables and connectors should take a fair amount of abuse or use and not be so fragile.

Keep looking for options.
You can get the parts to fix the port from any electronics supplier. I like Mouser personally. They're more or less standard.

It looks like a standard 3.7V Lithium battery. You should be able to charge it. I would use this www.adafruit.com/product/1304
Thanks for your reply.
I asked at a repair place and he looked it up and said he wouldn't be able to find the parts, so I don't know about Mouser. I have no idea what parts are needed or how to fix it, and I'm not really willing to open it up and try! Do you happen to know which parts I would need from Mouser?

It is a lithium battery. Again, don't know anything about it. I've only had the wireless for a few days actually. I checked out that product though and I'm not sure how it would work?? there's not really any place to plug in red and black wires to the battery! I was hoping they made some kind of wall mount charger that fit it.
They don't make a wall charger - so you're SOL if you want something wacom specific. You could make something using the charger I linked. You would have to connect the positive to the positive of the battery, the negative to the negative, and you can largely ignore the T pin - it's connected to a thermistor for temperature. They make special pouches for charging Lithium batteries, you could get one of those if you want to be safe. You MIGHT be able to find a charger that the battery just fits into... it looks like a standard lithium battery size but I'd have to have one in front of me to be sure.

As for which part you would need specifically... if you don't know how to fix it then you're not going to be able to fix it even with the parts. From the pictures of wacom boards I've seen they seem to just use a standard USB connector, but again I would have to have it in front of me to tell you for sure.
This is the wireless battery set: store.wacom.com/us/en/product/…

And this is the cord: www.rakuten.com/prod/usb-charg… (basically). You can see the little end which goes into the tablet.

As for the part…I know! That's why I'm just a bit upset at the repair guy who would know how to fix it, but didn't realize that apparently it's easy to find the parts needed! Wish you were here! 
Yeah, I'm familiar with that kit and cord. You can charge that battery with the adafruit lipo charger. You would just have to rig up a way to connect them. I personally would 3d print a thing but I know most people don't have a 3d printer :meow:

The jack is standard to some extent but you would need to know the hole locations on the board. Even then, you'd need a reflow heat gun to resolder it. That said, depending what's wrong with the jack you can almost certainly just resolder the jack that's there. Usually that's sufficient for Wacom tablets. (you're like the 400th person to have this problem on this forum)

It's not impossible that we're in the same place. "Computer repair" people usually won't do real electronics work. The little bit of work they will do is usually limited to whole-board replacements. It's a liability thing.
Whoa yeah definitely don't have a 3D printer. You've officially moved beyond me...

So, 400 people have successfully soldered their tablets? But dang, it really says something about this tablet if 400 people here alone have had this problem. I did try to look through the forum before I asked though.

I did figure it was a liability thing. Maybe they can't use parts from non-mainstream sources. :/ 
I didn't say there were 400 successful :meow: the forums delete dead threads after a while.