Help with network device

I have few questions regarding networking.
I know not much about networking. So detailed guidance will be appreciated.

My broadband plan is DSL broadband (that one with landline phone) of 2mbps.

I currently use a dlink ADSL wired modem to access internet on my PC.

I want a network device which can connect my PC with wire and my phone and laptop wirelessly. I believe I'm looking for a wireless modem+router. I handpicked a few.
Netgear or Dlink ? What is mostly recommended ?

Also, I heard router models of 150mbps or 300mbps, but also heard that doesn't depend on the internet speed. I mean if my internet speed is of 2mbps, do I still need a router model of more than 150mbps ?
I will be using it within 1000sq.ft. floor and on roof that is 10ft 4 inch from the floor.

Also after buying it, I require the following things. Are those possible with a normal router with modem (my favourite is netgear D500 N150/N300)?

1. Wired connection to PC
2. Wireless connection to phone and laptop
3. Restrict the number of devices that can be connected.
4. Switch off the wireless connection when not needed. (If possible)
5. Best possible security.

p.s. Is there anyway to detect my connection is PPPoE or PPPoA?
Comments14
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Yeah, a wireless router is what you need. Keep the modem separate, plug it into the port labeled "internet" on the back of the router. Follow the instructions that come with the router. They're easy to set up. 

150 or 300 will make no difference to your internet speed but if you transfer files over wifi between devices then it will matter (like running AirPlay). You probably don't so I wouldn't worry about it. 

1 Yes
2 Yes
3 Yes 
4 You can but it's not worth the effort
5 This is absolutely unrealistic. Easily half of security is the user not being a fuckwit. Put a password on it, no one wants to hack your wifi. 
Ah I see. You guessed right. I don't need to transfer files between devices. Even if I need to do, I wouldn't mind coming near to the router and wait a little.

But why to keep the modem separate?
It's easier to use your ISP's modem that's set up to work rather than trying to configure it yourself.
ISP didn't give me any modem. I bought it and took to them to configure only because I couldn't do it. However they told that I can do it myself and they will provide infos, and if they do it, they won't have any responsibility for the device. So I guess it's all upto me. Whatever I buy, I have to configure it myself.
Well then using the modem you have saves you that trouble.
Hmm Okay.

And few last questions -
1.Any brand recommendation?
2.What decideds wifi's range? A 150mbps will be strong enough to cover 1000sq ft. and across two walls?
3.PPPoE or PPPoA? Must ask ISP?
I like Netgear, but it doesn't matter.

Antenna power determines range. The speed has nothing to do with it. Any modern router will be more than enough for what you need.

You'd have to ask your ISP but you don't need to know that in order to set it up because you're going to use the working modem and just get a router.
View all replies