Wacom Companion Hybrid VS Surface Pro 3

I have been thinking of getting a laptop for college but at the same time I need and want a tablet to improve my digital art. I am majoring in 3D modeling.
I know as a fact that I will need a tablet where I can see where I am drawing or painting or it just won't work for me. I am between the Wacom Companion Hybrid and the Surface Pro 3.
Any opinions on this? 
I would really appreciate your opinions on this!
Have a nice day!
Comments14
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Id really want a companion. Since it is a cintiq, you can see what you are drawing instead of looking at your computer screen when you draw if you use W.Pro. But since you are majoring in 3d art I would not really consider this type of drawing tablet. And in Norway and other schools I have been investigating often offer equipment you can buy or follow up when you start at the school? Dont it have that couse then you should maybe use what they recomend as long as it is not an apple product.
Lol I hope not an apple product as well! I might ask today at my school what sort of laptop or digital device I should use when it comes to 3D modeling. Thanks for the help again Gooffi!
the feels. yer welcome!
Your first priority is college, and a tablet won't be extremely applicable to 3D stuff. So you might be better off with a 3D-oriented laptop, paired with a regular tablet.
Hmmm I see. The thing is that I also want to improve my 2D art.
But you're going to school for 3D art, so you would get by fine with a regular tablet. You don't even need a digital tablet in order to do so; paper sketchpads are nice.
But wouldn't it end up being cheaper if I spend on the Surface Pro 3 which includes the laptop function and the digital tablet function? I've heard people can run Maya on it anyways.
Surface Pro 3 by miles. You want the full windows so you can run modeling programs, the Hybrid has android and isn't going to run any of the programs you'll need for class.

That said, you'd be better off getting a nice laptop over the surface pro. If you're going to do 3d modeling you really don't want to skimp on the computer.
I also want to make some 2D. I want to take my landscapes and improve them. I haven't been able to improve much because the mouse doesn't let me as dumb as it sounds. I just can't get the right lines and it takes forever. Should I then go for the Surface Pro 3?
I think your best bet would be a Wacom Intuos tablet and a real laptop. The Surface Pro just isn't going to do well with 3d work.
Have you tried one and used a 3D program with it before?