Going mobile

So my desktop is far too bulky now at the university, also It's having many issues and a recently expired warranty...anywho, I'm looking for a laptop replacement, my iPad just doesn't use all the software I need.

I was taking a looksie at a Macbook Pro, but the build quality is super offset by the ~$1600 price tag...oh and no dedicated GFX other than an iris 5100...I hate window with a passion, but it seems the only route is a win8 Laptop that I'll downgrade to 7...I want NO touchscreens, they eat RAM and suck to boot in a laptop, and personally I would like it to be more bulky, I hate ultrabooks.

Big question: Anyone know a high build quality manufacturer that's not going to out me $1100 for an i7 laptop?
Comments24
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
way too much compared with compatibility for software, Macbook for roughly same price and software that I already have the keys for.  I had a run in with linux 6 months back..I love Crunchbang. I don't do much programming work these days, and I'm cool with Mac for now :D  I got a great deal with financing, AC, and a $200 discount for school
well you can always pick up an older refurbished model too if you want to save on price.
That's true, but usually financing is for newer models, plus it's a win since it builds my credit.
well then enjoy I suppose.
I shall.  

addendum: I can't believe my old copy of Mac Descent reads and works x.x awesome
*bump

Ended up going with a rMPB, was expensive but they let me finance it for only $100 more after interest over 4 years with 4 of coverage since I"m a student :D

gotta say it's more impressive than the last laptop I've owned
Eww. Specs and price?
Intel i5 2.6Ghz, 8Gb RAM, intel Iris with 1.5-2.0GB VRam 256Gb SSD

and 4 years of Apple Care $1600.  Builds my credit, already working fine  so far it's smoother than my Win8.1 Desktop that had an i7 - 8Gb Ram, Nvidia GT630 with 3Gb Vram.  

I gotta say though, even though it's super expensive I'm happy with it, I'm probably going to have a Workstation out of college that will run Linux, Windows, and OSX (yeah it's possible) on 3 Fusion drives for all my work.  I love the OSX environment.
I know you said no Windows and you wanted i7, but this is a pretty good deal for a 4th gen i5 with 8GB RAM and 1024 levels of Wacom pressure:

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FRLY…
That's pretty neat as well, but If I were to get that I'd have no need for my Note or iPad...hmm...could potentially make money there...but I also need financing, I'm at university and broke AF XD

I wish Wacom could finance a Hybrid or something for me..or Msoft with the surface Pro 2
Well, the Hybrid is now $1100 - but then it's only Android OS

store.wacom.com/us/en/product/…
*sigh* I wish apple price were cheaper

I've already got android products... man and windows hasn't been good since 7...debatable to xp. 

Then lenovo Y40 looked really nice at 600$ for a quad core Nvidia 840 rig....sadly they don't do financing
*Bump* The school I attend agreed to give me $1,000 USD towards a laptop....my desires for power have increased x.x

though our school would like to see me get a mac x.x  grr decisions
What's your total budget?
well since school is giving me $1,000, and RBS can give me ~600...I figure $1200-1300, I really only like 13" laptops, 17" is too pricey even for basics.   and I really want something that's not a windows experience.....8.1 has been a living hell for me to use, sucks up ram like a MF and crashes alot.  

I just wish apple had better prices x.x I love OSX as an operating system...plus they're tech support would actually fix or get me another mac should mine break in 4 years (I've had many ASUS laptops break in a short 6 month span, and them and Lenovo have the worst tech support I've ever dealt with).

I don't need a gaming monstrosity...unless of course $1300 would net me one hell of a 13" machine...
Either of the Sager laptops I recommended above would be perfect then, or this www.sagernotebook.com/index.ph… or for a 13" www.sagernotebook.com/index.ph…
Holy geezus that's awesome! definitely looking at these.  Currently our school runs a financing offer on some computers to help build student credit, I'll see if something like this is covered.
Look into HP Envys. I have an i7 with dedicated GPU for ~$800. Solidly Built and is basically a knock-off MBP (which isn't a bad thing)

Also, you can probably get a fair discount if you have it shipped to school and call it a business purchase. I got $200 off by having the thing shipped to work instead of my house :meow: it's worth calling the company on any laptop and talking to a rep instead of just using the online configuration tool.
Cool, I don't game much ('cept for halflife 2) I usually do music and am working on my art minor.. Our school uses almost Mac only .-.  so damn expensive
:shrug: you get what you pay for
I do love my iPad x.x

man I love the future