Non-Wacom tablet recommendations?

I've been a tablet user for nearly 6 years now next month. My first one was a Bamboo Fun that seemed to work just fine on XP, but once I made the change to Windows 7 last October, I had nothing with issues with it. A month later, I got an Intuos, and have had nothing but problems with it, too. It'll work for a few hours, and then it stops working properly. Pressure sensitivity is forgotten, I can't press any of the buttons, and whenever I go to try restarting my computer, it'll come back with a message that tells me "the tablet driver is not running."

I'm tired of fooling with everything and trying to get it to work, and at this point I'm not really able to go back to Windows XP as I don't have a computer that I want to run it on, so I want to look into finding a different one to work with. Problem is, I don't know any other brand outside of Wacom.
What would you guys suggest? What are some other brands that I can look into that work fairly decently with Windows 7? Please note, I'm on a bit of a budget right now, so I can't really look into anything that's over $100. Anything for that amount or less will be fine. C:

Suggestions are and will be appreciated! :D
Comments14
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
A lot of other tablets I've seen need batteries in their pens. This is because Wacom have a patent monopoly on the battery-less pen. It sucks.
I don't care if I have to replace the pen's batteries every so often. I just want something that's going to be reliable. Wacom only seems to be good on Windows XP, from my experience. Their tablets are glitchy on every other OS I've used. :/
I find batteries in a pen a huge pain.
Wacom tablets work perfectly on Linux.
I used to get the Genius one, it's way less expensive than Bamboo!
I'd try that before buying a new tablet :
- unplug tablet,
- uninstall all tablet drivers from the computer (Wacom + possibly generic Windows one that may have popped up and conflict),
- restart computer with the tablet not plugged,
- download and install relevant driver from Wacom website, most likely here us.wacom.com/en/support/legacy…,
- restart computer with tablet still unplugged,
- plug tablet.

The tablet I'm using now is from ~2005 (Graphire 4, older than the Bamboo Fun) and its original owner used it in Win XP & Vista, I'm now using it in Win 7 without issues other than a piece of older software not recognizing pressure. More recent tablets like yours should be able to work as well or better.

While some non-Wacom tablets look like they can be a good purchase they don't make sense if you already have 2 lying around unused and most likely in working order beside driver troubles.
It didn't work for long, sadly. The tablet driver won't work properly after a while, and it doesn't always start when the computer does. Looks like a different brand will have to do... :/
Hm.... out of curiousity, have you tried cleaning your system of any possible viruses and clearing out some disk space? Sometimes that sort of thing screws seemingly unrelated stuff over! It might also be conflicting with another driver on your system. Make sure to have previous drivers completely cleared out- sometimes when uninstalling, bits of the program get left behind and it has to be cleared out before things work properly. Running a system clean should fix that.

The other thing you can do is try a new cord.
I actually found out that it was viruses, rather than bad hardware. I ended up doing a clean install of Windows and now I don't have any problems.
Oh! Well, glad to hear it works now! I've got a bamboo and an intuos4 myself and I've had those days where I want to toss them out a window in frustration

And then you know it turned out I slammed a door on the cord and busted it >_>
Sorry to hear that and hope you're successful with a non-Wacom, though other brands tend to be reputed as *more* troublesome driver-wise than them.
I tried it again and it seems to be working thus far. I haven't run into any problems yet... and hopefully I don't.

I appeciate your advice! :D
The monoprice I bought was only around $50 after I bought another pen and extra nibs. The one I have did well with 7. 
Monoprice is your best bet. 

Huion is alright too.