New laptop advice

Hi, I'm looking to buy a new laptop as the one I have now is getting in on years and has trouble running some programs/games/anything that's not like just Sai and Chrome.

I would need a laptop that I could use for:
-Graphism => Photoshop, Illustrator, 3dsmax, Z-brush maybe too
-Gaming => I won't have another desktop computer I can do my gaming on and I kinda want to try and run a recent-ish game with "medium" graphic presets instead of "Ultra Low"
-General internet-ing

I would like, if possible to have a laptop with a decent battery life, something that could last for at least 3-4 hours with a full charge.

My budget is at 800€ max. I may be able to get a hundred euros more if I re-negociate birthday and christmas presents but I'd rather have something at 800 or less.

So, I'm open to any suggestion. What do YOU use to do your arting?
Comments17
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
www.amazon.fr/Asus-Premium-R51… 800 with GTX 850m

If you can stretch the budget I would recommend the MSI GE602PE with i7-4710HQ and GTX 860m www.amazon.fr/MSI-GE60-2PE-APA…

I wouldn't go with any of the France versions of the Envy unless you can find one with a quad core i7 and a GTX 850m graphics card.

Anything with at least a i7-47xxHQ/MQ cpu and a GTX 850m would do well for your needs and can be found for around 800€. Less than 800 less likely but between 800 and 900 there are quite a bit of options.
Yeah, I went on the HP site and was kinda disapointed by the specs. :iconpapmingplz:

What do you think of this one?
www.amazon.com/Lenovo-15-6-Inc…

I've looked at reviews and it seems like it fits what I want. It has an i7, 8Go of RAM and a Nvidia GTX 860M.
Not bad. Not bad at all. Plus and IPS display.
I think I'll go with this one. :D There's a flash slae on the Amazon France website and I can get it for 801 €  :iconyeahplz:
Try Cyberpower PC I think they have a UK provider as well.  they make great systems for a good price.  I have 3 systems from them 2 are laptops. One was very cheap for a 2GB or video,16 GB of RAM and a quad processor it was 900$ for a laptop on a black Friday sale. It runs Skyrim on Ultimate with a decent amount of mods.For what you are asking it's probably going to be pricey. Being that you want a systems with at least 8GB of RAM or more,  2GB of video or more as well as a decent processor. and in a laptop form the more stronger the more of a price. I honestly would not use a laptop for 3D. I used one in school for basic 3D modeling but not much for rendering. I needed a giant beast of a machine for most of my 3D. Not to mention the demand for gaming in 4K. It really depends on your need and how heavy your 3D modeling or gaming is.
Ye I know what I'm asking for is going to be kinda pricey. But then again, I dont need top of the shelf performances. As I said to Pyro above you, I just want to run, say, vanilla Skyrim in normal quality. It's a laptop I would use for a lot of things, but I don't need to do all of them at 100% efficiency.

If I could get a desktop I totally would, but the thing is, I know I will have to move around kind of a lot, both for school or work or whatever. And since I dont know where exactly I will end up, I'd rather stay mobile as much as possible. 

I took a look at Cyberpower PC, and I'll have to see if I can get a discount with the place I'm in internship. But since I'm not in the UK (I live in France) I won't be able to use the guarantees and included services. I'd kinda hate to have to shell out that kind of money and then not be sure  can get maintenance done without spending loads again :/ .

The 900$ laptop you got, what are its specs? Like processor, storage, battery life etc. ? And how long ago did you buy it? Did it hold up in the long run or is it starting to show some limits?
I like my HP Envy. It can run programs very well and games moderately well. Gaming well is challenging for under 800, but it depends on the games. 
Yeah I figured 800 was a little low for intense gaming. I'm not expecting to be able to run, say, Skyrim with tens of mods and everything cranked up to "ULTRA HD YOU'LL SEE THE NOSE HAIRS OF THE NPCs" quality, but it would be nice to like, not lag? :iconpapmingplz:

Do you do any 3d work with your Envy? if you do, how well does it do about rendering times?
I don't render on it, I have a desktop for that. I do a lot of CAD work on it though - including absurdly high-poly stuff with blender for 3d printing - and it holds up perfectly well.

I used it to demo for the Oculus Rift and it could play HL2 and Portal 2 on max settings... for what that's worth. The only modern 3d game I've played on it was Asseto Corsa and that worked well enough. I actually think it could play Skyrim alright. Depends on which graphics chip you get installed with it.
Yeah, I dont have a desktop of my own but I guess I can always ask nicely at school/work for a computer to stay on all night.

That sounds pretty nice in terms of power and... Oooh I can change the graphic chip?

And also, how long does it last on battery for your usual usage?
I get ~8 hours on a charge if I'm just online and ~4 if I leave it in high-performance mode. I put an SSD in it which probably helps that over the stock laptop a fair bit.

Can't change the GPU but when you buy the laptop you have a choice in upgrades. 

I certainly could render on this laptop, I just don't see any reason to stress it like that :shrug: I think it would work for ya. I have an i7 4700MQ in it... so not the fastest thing ever but it could render.
Cool cool, many thanks for your help /o/

I'll keep the Envy in mind, it sounds preeeetty nice.
Oh, one more thing, whatever laptop you get see if you can buy it through work. Some companies give huge discounts for business purchases. I got like $200 off buying through my job (which I just put towards more upgrades) 
View all replies