Could Someone teach me about Graphics Cards?

I'm trying to build a gaming/programming computer and i would like to build it myself but i get stuck when it comes to graphics cards. so i would like to know, what is the best thing to know which graphic card is better when i am comparing them online or at the store?
Comments6
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
What I did when I was choosing my gpu is to get the best bang for buck and it's pretty much up to you specially on how hard you're gonna do gaming. Have some checklist like screen resolution size, multiple display, psu capacity, price, performance, cooling, noise, etc.

It's also important to know if there's a bottleneck somewhere there. I once bought an AMD videocard (HD7950) but I guess it was too much for my display (1920x1080) and I had a very very bad screen tearing problem while gaming (can be solved somehow by V-sync, caps your fps to 60). NVIDIA has arguably the better solution to that I believe and they are Adaptive V-sync and the new G-sync. I now have a GTX770 and it runs perfectly with my new bigger display (1920x1200). I think it does looks prettier in terms of real-life results while gaming and I also use it for professional work and I think my NVIDIA card does the better job overall. 

Here's a good vid for you to choose which brand you want. 
www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG5dl_…

Here's a good reference on how well the cards perform. 
www.videocardbenchmark.net/hig…

Check here if it has good price vs performance. 
www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu…
Hi there, you can look at this website.

www.tomshardware.com/

or I suggest going directly to the web irc since it will answer your concern quickly

www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/    << post something there in reddit, or just go to the irc chatroom >

www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki… << scroll below
Thanks, i'll Trying posting there as well :)
Go to chat, I have asked the chat channel so many times I keep changing nicknames lol. Goodluck =)
The single best thing to know is that you can't compare cards just based on the model numbers. You HAVE to check benchmark charts.

Second thing is that for compsci use it matters what brand you get. Only nvidia cards support CUDA which is commonly used for GPGPU programming. Something to think about if you're into that sort of thing.