Laptop problems

Okay, I have a big problem. But I'm gonna start a where it started

For my graduation/birthday, my grandmother bought me a toshiba windows 8 laptop. For a couple weeks everything is fine. I was able to do things on it I couldn't on my iPad. Go on chat, comment on dA stuff without having to refresh the page, make forum posts directly on the dA forum page (on my iPad I have to type of the thing in my notes app, and copy and paste it), etc. 

Until a big storm came in my area and blew out our wifi, somehow. 

Every other device hooks up afterwards just fine. But not the laptop. 

So I've been trying to fix it. I unplug the modem, plug it back in, nothing. The laptop is set up to connect manually, and when I try to click on "view connection settings" it does nothing. I can only click on it. 

It's so annoying! I just want to use my laptop. And I'd rather not tell my mom, because she's not very good with tech stuff and will get frustrated. 

I'm like panicking, I get very nervous when stuff goes wrong. 

Tl:dr laptop is being stupid. Help.

So, any tech people out there, please help! 

Anti-complaint: weekend! Yay!
Comments41
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
:pointr: I have moved this thread to the Hardware Forum as it is more appropriate here.
Okay, thank you.
Was your laptop plugged during the storm at all?
Can't remember. Why?

Everyone is trying to suggest all this stuff, which is very nice, but I'm seriously thinking it's just a wifi problem.
because if it was it may or may not have screwed up your network card unless you had it plugged into a surge protector.

Computer people probs :)
How could that happen through the charger?

Wow. Dang. Computers :/ what's a surge protector?
I don't know I heard this in my computer class but I know it can happen.

A surge protector is the things that plug into your outlets that allow you to plug in more things and protect your devices from surges of electricity that is caused by weather such as thunderstorms.

Example: www.google.com/search?q=surge+… 
Okay, thanks. But unfortunately my laptop was not pigged into one of those during the storm.

Would you mind talking to your computer teacher for me? I could really use all the help I can get.
Sure next thing on manday I'll talk to him.

(Wow I am so good at spelling )
View all replies
Go into device manager and check that your wireless card is enabled there.
Also, not a complaint.
It worked before, so I don't think that's it.
I have a HP laptop running Win8 and I've had exactly the same issues, and every single time it's been down to the wireless card being mysteriously disabled in the device manager window after a system update.
Check the device manager just to be sure.
Does this look like the Laptop support desk? The hardware support desk? Nope, wanna know why? This is the complaints forum. Don't go pulling the: This is a complaints card! It's clear your thread is not intended to complain about your computer being broken but rather desperately trying to get people to solve your problems over the internet. Go post on a computer forum or somewhere, but this ain't the place. 
actually it is a complaint so...
And I should listen to you why?

It is a complaint. Got a problem with it, press the back button.
Either a switch was accidentally hit on the modem, a function key toggled wireless connection off or (so quips my imagination) an electromagnetic pulse inputted a maleficent digital personality from the storm which had escaped from the labs of the CIA.
I believe it's none of the above.

All I want is for technology to not be out to destroy me! I have bad luck with tech stuff.
Post in the hardware forum and we'll help you trouble shoot it :meow: but yeah, check that you haven't enabled airplane mode
It's not on airplane mode, I've checked. And I've done the trouble shooter stuff. It says that either a wifi wire is messed up (which it's not) and that the laptop is set to manually reconnect. However when I go to change the network settings, it won't let me click on it. And I don't know how to manually reconnect a laptop to the wifi (techie derp)
Have you actually physically checked the antenna wires? They do come off sometimes
It's only the laptop having problem, iPads, phones, and TV are fine.

It's just the stupid laptop :/
The antenna wires in your laptop.