Monitor stuck in power saving mode

It's not my computer it's someone elses. Their monitor is doing this thing where it goes into power saving mode, refuses to find a signal despite having the right cable and configuration, and then stays like that until I physically pull it's power cable out and reconnect it. The computer runs on full 1080p on Mini display port on a Radeon R7 270. I don't know if it's updated or not. The system and monitor are configured to 1080p resolution. The issue began as far as I know when AVG was uninstalled and the system was rebooted. It's happened again since but I wasn't around to see what might have caused it. The owner of the PC is too illiterate to tell me what they think the issue might be. I've set power saving so that the monitor never switches off to see if it's that.

I would really like a solution to this since they always comes to me the moment they have any problems and most of the time I probably don't have any clue of what the solution is either. It's insufferable. 

What could the issue be if not that?
Comments6
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Could just be broken. It's not uncommon for monitors to just fuck themselves. Does the monitor do it when plugged into another computer?

I would assume that if it started with an AVG install the first thing y'all did was remove AVG and reinstall the video drivers? Maybe AVG got in there and mucked up some driver. HIGHLY unlikely though. But if they installed AVG because they think they have a virus and it's actually a HDD/RAM subtly fucking up and corrupting drivers (or a failing motheboard/video card) it might not be AVG.

It could be a bad cable that isn't communicating correctly. If possible try a new cable or even a new connection. Or a second monitor if they have one.
I don't know because they have no other system to try it on. 

Also I don't understand how an antivirus can be linked to a graphics card in any way.

It better not be hardware related. That system is only 3 months old tops. I built the thing. I'm going to be thoroughly throw-the-tv-out-the-window-and-stab-a-bitch furious if it is.
Antivirus programs sit in memory and stop things that they see as malicious memory access. That could fuck with graphics in certain circumstances. But I doubt it on anything modern.

A lot of people will install antivirus programs not because there is a virus problem, but just because they see some other general slowdown and think it must be malware. So... it probably has nothing to do with it other than indicating they see something wrong with the computer.

Truthfully, I would lean towards the monitor being messed up, but you'll have to get over there to test it :meow:
I wouldn't know how to test it. There's no other system available to try it with.
Go over there and bring a laptop?

If it has HDMI try plugging a game console or something into it?

Yeah, nothing you can do remotely