I Need Help Picking a Tablet

I have been thinking of purchasing a tablet because I think that I would be able to add more detail and what not to my art. You can look at what I have done so far with mouse. I have been told that Wacom and I don't want a cintiq for sure. Help please? :3
Comments38
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
If your're an artist and a gamer, I'd go with the Microsoft Surface Tab Pro. Its pretty much a mid spec PC on the go. For a computer , I'd go with Wacom.
Dude I was thinking of getting a surface pro 3! Because it looks pretty decent as a tablet and it looks as a good tablet for college and gaming! Did you realize that they sell the keyboard separately? lol
I think so, but you can get a keyboard case for much less expense than $90

The Surface Pros have a nice display and can even run big games like Skyrim on medium specs. I was thinking about getting the Pro 3 myself so I could use Photoshop and Flash more accurately with a stylus instead of a computer tablet.
They're way cheaper than Wacom Companions too for sure, unless you want to get the highest specs!
If your budget was just at $250-400, I'd recommend getting a Motions Computing tablet second hand.  Either their C, J or R lines.  I'm using a J3400 and adore it.  It's a full tablet pc that has Wacom digitizer tech inside but also PC features such as a full OS vs an Android OS.  That means full programs, not just apps.  It's light, I toss it in my book bag with spare batteries and walk.  12" screen with very good resolution.

But for a starter tablet, Huion H580 might work. I picked that one up for my kids as they're advancing in their digital work and it was as responsive as my Intuos4.  $60 price, $300 responsiveness in that model.
Honestly, there are some pretty good competitively priced tablets out there, not just wacom. I suggest you check out Huion, Hanvon, or Monoprice for similar quality at a much cheaper price.
Are they really the same quality and cheaper? I have read all over the internet that they are not as good quality as Wacom, and that their drivers suck. What do you think?
Wacom's are slightly better, but unless you are a VERY serious artist, I believe the difference quality is negligible when considering the price. A tablet sold by Wacom for $400 could have a counterpart for only $80. Besides, you can always buy a cheap one now and if you decide that you really need a better one, buy another.

I've never heard anything about the drivers, unfortunately.

You should probably just compare the specs if you're unsure. :)
Well if it's your first one grab a Wacom Intuos and you'll be good to go.
That's what I thought that i should start small first :)
yeah no need to go overboard right away.
xD if ur budget is 100 bucks, just get the cheapest one that's around 75 to 90 bucks.
wacom bamboo tablet CTL470, and it's 10.9x6.9 inches.

it looks like this  o 3 o. it's wat i have too. its been years still working pretty nicely.
g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images…
Hmm I will keep that one in mind for sure :)
I have the Intuos 4, meduim sized tablet and I could not be happier with it. 
Started practicing with a Bamboo fun small sized tablet and once i upgraded to the intuos 4 it was exactly what i was looking for
just do some research on the different types of tablets and be sure to search amazon for a deal.
I'm sure you'll make the right choice. :D (Big Grin) 
Yeah, I have been thinking of getting like a cheap one first, and then upgrade to a better one once I really get like the hang of it.
I have a Monoprice tablet, that I've sat on, stepped on, dropped, and kicked for the last 5 years..... It costs $50 bucks on ebay, and is quite large :D Wacom is Very Expensive for the size, and perhaps even quality... The monoprice I have is a Monoprice 10x6.25 inches Graphic Drawing Tablet...... Look it up, it's awesome! :)
Damn this is why I get so confused. I can't really decide if Wacom is actually the best or the other tablets.
I have never had a wacom, but I've seen good and bad reviews on it.... However my monoprice is priceless! It is a fantastic little tablet, or should I say large tablet.... I believe wacom, the same size as mine, would cost like $100-$250..... Probably more like $150, but still, mine was $50, and you can't beat that! :clap:
Hmm interesting :D
It's your choice but I personally think Monoprice gives you more for your money :D
Just buy a wacom. A intous is good enough for you for a loong time.