Windows Update Agony

Hey guys! Basically I disabled auto updates long ago after my Windows 8 laptop continuously turned itself to update, and since then I've been doing them manually.
A while back the system froze during an update and I turned it off, and since then I have been unable to access the updates page on the control panel and anywhere else on the laptop.
Whenever I click here (imgur.com/weEwcHF) it refuses to load, and alas, I can no longer update.
What can I do? Any reason why my system has stopped letting me update?
I'd like to get to try Windows 8.1 so it would be nice :D
Comments13
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Ok guys, I have successfully loaded the updates page on Control Panel, and now I have 61 important updates to do :S

How should I approach this? I don't want my system to hang or anything during the process :S

Should I do a number at a time? Or all in one? (I have backed everything up as well btw)
did you try just downloading it through the store? thats how you get the update anyways. if not, just reformat/refresh "your pc without affecting files"  or something like that, just type in refresh or restart or reformat and you'll see the options, then try to go into the store and download it.
I did but I need previous updates in order to reach the right level in order to get 8.1/ Where can I find older updates/ an archive of them?
hmm.. you don't(find them) =\ try refreshing your pc, it is equivalent to a reformat but there is an option to retain data that it will put in the C: folder when you restart your computer. do the updates right away, then upgrade straight to 8.1
Are they not available on the store then? Hmm ok I'll think about it.
Actaually I'd rather keep all the programs I've installed on there, in fact with University on the way it is absolutely vital that I do not have to spend time re-installing things like Photoshop etc. :/
Thanks for the input however!
windows updates aren't available through the store, you could try this though windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/wi…

windows fixit's are made specifically for general problems people may have and i find it usually works, give that link a try.
I think the first thing you need to try is a system refresh. Type 'Refresh' on the start screen and it'll say "refresh your PC without affecting your files"

After that is done, let it update fully (it will probably update everything to the latest when it installs, probably even to 8.1). You might have to reinstall some programs, it'll have a list on your desktop of what you need to reinstall (it's usually nothing).

Or, go into the Windows Store app and see if 8.1 is available for download there. I don't think it'll be there if you don't have automatic updates enabled though because you need to be relatively current with the 8 updates to go to 8.1

Finally, you could buy a license for 8.1 and install it fresh. This isn't the cheapest option (although if you're a student you might get 8 for free/heavily discounted) but it has the benefit of allowing a clean install. That means none of the adware bullshit that came preinstalled with your laptop. A clean install makes a bigger difference than you might think in terms of speed. The downside is that you'll need to back everything up externally. Also, your current key can't be used to install a clean copy of 8 since the installer can tell that it's an OEM key. It's a huge pain in the ass. You might be able to use the generic install key to install it and then activate with the OEM key, but I'm not 100% sure if that's possible because I haven't done it personally. If you're willing to pay for a key that would be the best first step though.
Wow thanks for the help! I'll have a think about it considering I don't have a lot of luck when it comes to Windows Update. Anything else that could be causing the problem?
It sometimes just fucks up. Especially if it restarts during an update.
8.1 is a better system IMO
Any ideas as to how I can download it though?