HELP: New tablet - Cintiq Companion or not? Sai and Photoshop CS5? Need advice

I am desperately seeking some help to make a very important decision!
For almost 5 years I've been working with a Wacom Bamboo Fun tablet, but now I have reached a point where I find my abilities in digital drawing limited. 
I think it is time for me to make an upgrade, as I intend to start studying animation and stuff within the next couple of years (I will graduate in june 2015).

I've decided to go for a Cintiq Companion or Hybrid. But I have some doubts that I would like to get some advice on before purchasing (prefferably from people who knows the Companion), because it indeed is a lot of money.

So here is my problem: I am currently a Mac user, and 3 years ago I purchased PS5 Mac version (very expensive). I've been kinda fustrated that the PS version only works for a Mac software, since the Wacom Companion runs Windows. 
I assume that if I want to have PS5 on my Companion tablet, I need to purchase an entirely new PS5? I just feel I it's a waste of money to buy the exact same program :( Therefore I have been doubting whether I should go for a Companion Hybrid (?).

Another thing is that I have always wanted SAI, and I suppose purchasing in a Companion with Windows will make that dream come true - SAI is free, right?
But as i am also very hooked on concept art (landscapes etc.), I think I will be missing Photoshop.  

All considered, I am seeking some advice on whether to buy a Companion or a hybrid, or just wait? I really want SAI, but I don't want to feel like my purchase in PS5 has been a complete waste - though I know a lot of people have downloaded a full PS version for free (cheating I suppose). I just want to make sure that I can get it for free too, as I think it's pretty unfair that I have already bought PS5 without any cheating, full price, but now it only works depending on which sofware I'm using. 
I just don't want to regret my choice if I chose the Hybrid over the original Companion version, as I've only seen good review on the Companion, and because I think of the tablet as investing in a new computer, which I perhaps will need to do anyway withing a couple of years.

I'd be really grateful for some advice :)
Comments16
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I've had my Companion Hybrid for five months now, no problems so far. There are things you can do with the Cintiq that you can't do with an Intuos or Bamboo. I can pretty much draw identically as if I was drawing on paper.

If you have a Mac with Photoshop already, you can use the Cintiq as a typical Cintiq tablet on the same computer without new software. My CS6 still works and I didn't need to buy a new one. Your computer will need an HDMI port and one USB port to work with it so keep that in mind. As for mobile apps, I will confess I don't use that feature much, but I did buy Sketchbook express and the Photoshop mobile. It works fairly well, but I primarily use it for computer use with the mobile freedom as a secondary/bonus feature.

I would recommend the Hybrid over the typical companion for two reasons; you can use it on any computer versus you can't use the Companion on any, and its half the price of a Companion. I also would say go for it, I waited a long while for a Cintiq 21UX but by the time I was ready to get one, the 13HD and Companion Hybrid had come out, so I got the Hybrid instead.

Lastly this is my own invention, but if you buy a 15' HDMI cable and 15' USB cable with a wireless keyboard, you can pretty much use the tablet wherever you want to. Many a times I've spent nights in bed doodling on the Cintiq thanks to this. :)

Hope this helps!
I would definitely say the companion over the hybrid, because hybrid runs android and then you might as well get a galaxy note or something since you'll be stuck with halfassed apps to do your art. There are no fully great art apps on android, some of them are ok for doodling, but I always get very frustrated with them.

On the companion you can get your normal programs like ps, sai, word and so on. And yes, you would need to get ps again, and yes you can pirate it, that is for sure - and no sai is not free. I love sai, it is my go to software, mainly because I had an LE1600 and I needed something light, therefore sai. 
Also, I replied to your note :)
Unlike the regular companion, hybrid can be used as a traditional cintiq. So the hybrid still win.
Depends what you need. I want portability (and android apps suck) and I don't already have a powerful desktop, so for me the hybrid is retarded.
Not really, Photoshop Touch and Sketchbook Pro will suffice as a mobile solution. Though it's really up to him/her to decide.
not even close, if the hybrid is supposed to be main machine.
We're speaking about mobile solution here! And don't forget the hybrid can be used as a traditional cintiq, unlike the regular one.
So? It can still be the main machine, even though it's mobile. And it still does not come close to the CC IF it is supposed to be main machine or if you don't already have a powerful desktop to hook it into so it can serve as a traditional cintiq. To me, personally, it is completely useless, because android apps suck, because I hate wires, because I'm always mobile. It depends what your needs are. 
I own a Cintiq Companion 512 GB and I love it! I highly recommend you buy one. (I think everyone should. Really! I love it that much!) Look at the specs on the Companion vs the Hybrid, and you'll see why it costs more. They really are two very different things.

You seem to have answered your own question when you said, "I just don't want to regret my choice if I chose the Hybrid over the original Companion version, as I've only seen good review on the Companion...." If you buy a hybrid, you have already told me that you will regret it! You will always wonder, "What if...?"

I think of the Companion as a full-blown computer more than a tablet. Yes, I know it really is a tablet. For one thing you can't connect a monitor to it. And I would recommend you buy a Bluetooth keyboard. I use a Wacom, which is OK, but I still miss the cursor/home/end keys. You might want to go with USB, instead. But the Bluetooth is there for portability. (I also recommend the 512 GB and a USB3 drive. Although you could do without the external drive for a while, it's just nice for backups, and removes any worry about filling the drive.)

The Hybrid is a small Cintiq monitor that also runs Android, IMHO. It is closer to the Android tablets than it is to a computer.

I have not researched the software, so I trust kyofanatic1 on this. My Companion came with Photoshop Elements 12, which is enough for me, since I use Painter for my art.

A couple of points that I respectfully disagree with the post above:

Not
buying one because some people have had problems is not a reason. (Especially without sources for that statement.) Wacom's excellent history of warranty service is enough for me. Has anyone had problems that Wacom did not resolve? Also, the excellent reviews speak to this. If it was a faulty device, there would be some bad reviews.

You can connect to other computers via Remote Desktop, VNC, LogMeIn, and other methods. Remote Desktop is enough for me. (It works, but not with all Cintiq features.)

Buying an Intous may be an option for some people, but it is not a computer upgrade, and is certainly not a replacement for a Companion. (I do own an Intous 9x12, and have for 5+ years, IIRC, and I still use the Companion for everything.)

Finally, if you want to be able to run full-blown, industry standard software for your education, you'll need a computer. So you'll soon need to upgrade if you buy a Hybrid. Consider your career... and treat yourself! You deserve it! :)
Where did you get your Companion? I really want one, but I can't do the crazy price! I have a 9 month old with a second baby on the way and only one of us is working, so it's not an option to shell out $2k on a tablet... Is there anywhere that sells them that has a payment plan option or something?
I apologize that I just now saw this. (I'm still learning my way around, and am now on disability, so may be slow.... Nothing personal!)

I just bought mine from the Wacom store: store.wacom.com/us/en/product/… They currently have a special on the 512 GB (which I really recommend, if you can).

It really is worth it! (Although, I have had some problems, Wacom has been great about honoring their warranty. From what I can gather, that is rare.) And you will lget a great tool!

Of course you have to put your little ones first. (Like I need to tell you that. ;) (Wink) ) You have great blessings, and I wish you the best!

AFAIK, they do not have a payment plan. I'd recommend getting a credit card, if you don't have one. Sometimes you can find a special offer where you can open an account and get no interest for a year. You still have to pay, but often you can pay it off. I have had good success with Amazon Rewards Visa and Bank of America. I have a very low fixed interest BoA card because I'm an alumni of Harding University. (I think it's 5.6%, which you probably won't find or beat).

If you do not get offers in the mail, you can just open an account, make some small purchases (be strict with yourself!!!) and pay them off right away. Just to establish your credit history. Oh, and allow them to share your information with marketing partners. Then, before you know it, you'll be getting these offers in the mail. Or shop around online. (IDK where. We are very fortunate because I've had a good career as a software engineer.)

If you are serious about your art, and really, really believe you can make money with it, it's just an investment, and you are worth it!

Let me know if you have any questions. I will try to check in here more regularly. <blush>

Good luck!
Leland...
That would require having credit to start with. :( Unfortunately, my FASFA for my college fell through, so that's been hitting my credit since early 2013, plus I have medical bills from having my son(my insurance told my dad that it would cover my childbirth, but it didn't). I have a U.S. Bank account, but I've been wanting to open a Bank of America account as I've heard good things. I just need to find one around me so that I can.

I've been doing some freelancing via oDesk and I've gotten okay work, so far. I have an off-brand Ugee tablet and Paint Tool SAI. I have Photoshop CS6 but I don't enjoy it, so I don't use it. I've never really liked PS. :/

I just wish that Wacom offered a payment plan of some sort for their expensive tablets like that. So many people, even professionals with consistent work, have a hard time paying $2k for a tablet when they have a vehicle that needs fixed or house payments. You would think that they would realize this. lol You would think that most companies that offer products for over a certain amount(like $300-400 or so) would offer payment plans. They'd certainly sell more of them if they did. My fiance and I both have very nice laptops because we got them through a site that offered payments.
I know what you mean. I've wanted a Cintiq since they first came out, and was only recently able to afford one.

On your insurance, I would verify everything, even if it takes days. I've had times when they did not cover something and I had to  call back & forth with them and my medical providers to straighten out mistakes. Every single time, all they needed was correct documentation/information! You could get a copy of the policy and just read it for child birth coverage. If it says it's covered, then somebody messed up, and it's up to you to track it down. It's a big mess, but will be worth it! You can probably get an electronic copy of the policy by signing up on your carrier's website and downloading it, or just calling and asking them to email you a copy. It is often difficult to navigate the quagmires, but they legally HAVE to help you. Another thing you can do is check with your hospital's/provider's financial aid office. I've never had to use this, but every place has one. And when I've seen people go in one, it seems like they always come out in 1-2 minutes.

I'm pretty sure you can sign up for many types of Bank of America accounts by just going to www.bankofamerica.com/. I've only got a low interest rate from them because of where I went to college. You can call them, too, and find out if you'd qualify for any lower-rate credit cards.

We finally got tired of spending so much on fixing our old cars, we just bought a new one. That was 14 years ago, and we're still driving it! Have only had a few things go wrong. Another thing you can do is lease... I've seen offers for < $200/month, for fairly nice cars. But the point is, if you can make those payments for less than you're spending on repairs, you'd be ahead.

Well, I'm not a financial adviser. :) Just hang in there, and before you know it, everything will work out.

Oh, one last tip. If none of the above helps, and you're drowning in debt, go to a credit counselor. We did that once, when we couldn't meet payments. They work with your debtors to negotiate lower-rate interest for you, and then you just make one monthly payment to them, which will be much lower than you're paying now, and you will usually be out of debt within a few years (or less!). It sounds too good to be true, but everybody wants their money back, and those places have good reputations with debtors, so they figure they will get back the principal, which is better than nothing! I think the one we used was Credit Counseling Services. You can just go talk to them, and they will tell you exactly what they can do. You just have to take all your account info, they enter it in their computer, and give you a printout of what your monthly payment will be, and when you'll be paid-off. Most people don't know about this, or are skeptical, but it's for real!

OK, now I'm rambling, again. ;) Let me know if I can ramble for you again. (Haha!)

Good luck with everything.
So sorry for the slow response! Had some stuff going on. On the bright side: I found out that I'm having a girl! :)

Thank you so much for all the info/suggestions, and for taking the time to write such a detailed response for me! I appreciate it a lot. <3
I have a cintiq companion hybrid.

First to answer your question about photoshop, yes you will have to buy a whole new photoshop. However I suggest you invest the Cloud version. If you are a student it is $20 a month for the first year and you get ALL of the adobe products. Plus you can put the programs on up to 2 computers no matter if they run Mac or Windows. As an animation student I think this might help you a lot in the long run.

Point 2, Sai is not free. You can get it for free like any other means through back alley means. However, Sai is no longer being updated and a lot of people have started having problems with it. I suggest you use either Clip studio Paint (with is cheaper than Sai) or Krita (which is free but only fro windows). Both programs are great and I use them.

Now I bought the Cintiq Companion Hybrid for multiple reasons. 
1. I do not like Windows 8.
2. My Mac is bootcamped to run both Ma and windows. I have Windows 7 on my Mac
3. I wanted to be able to use my cintiq as a normal cintiq and connect it to my school computers as well. You can not connect the regular cintiq companion to a computer. THe companion is a computer.
4. I did not need a new computer. 

However I do not suggest you buy a cintiq right now. You have only used a bamboo fun. I suggest you upgrade to an intous pro first. The Cintiq Companion line is still rather new, and some people have reported bugs. Also you probably won't need a cintiq until you have been studying animation for about a year or two. I am assuming you are still in high school though.