Fully portable drawing tablet! Note 10.1 2014, Surface Pro 2, or Samsung ATIV 700T?

I've had a Wacom Intuos 3 for the better part of a decade and while it's brought me a lot of drawing joy I'm sick to death of being stuck to my computer, or having to lug around a giant tablet and set it up each time I want to draw. I'd like something fully portable, usable without another PC that still enables me to create. I'm a hobby artist and while I'm used to programs like Photoshop CS2 and paint tool sai, I may be able to achieve the same or similar results with a less sophisticated program.

The Galaxy Note is about 600 dollars (With a warranty) but I could get it for around 400 if I go used. Because it's an android OS I imagine the drawing programs are not as refined. (I hear they've gotten better but I am not sure what to expect!) I originally was looking for a tablet to play apps/surf on and got side tracked by the idea of being able to draw again on a portable device.

Pros:
Ability to play Apps (My smartphone is too old so this is a big bonus)
Extremely portable!!

Cons:
Mixed reviews about drawing lag.
Inferior Art Programs? (No paint tool sai or Manga Studio 5)
Fragile/Samsung Customer Service is terrible (Hence the separate Warranty)

Surface Pro 2 also seems to be about 600 if you shop around, while the ATIV 700T seems to be around 500-700.  I hear that the ATIV runs cooler, but that's all I can find in terms of comparisons.

Pros:
Windows 8 (Access to Photoshop, Sai, Manga Studio)
Better lag issues?

Cons:
Windows 8
More expensive
No apps
Less Portable

Honestly, I hope that the Note 10.1 is the perfect mix of portability, price, and ability to create art while offering apps I don't have access to otherwise, however I fear that the tablet won't be good enough to draw on and will be terrible in comparison to the alternatives I've listed. I wish so badly that the Cintiq companion hybrid were an option, but I hear it's glitchy in several areas and it's ridiculously expensive! I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience with these devices, I'm still leaning towards the note 10.1 but I don't want to throw money down the drain if it's not going to live up to my expectations. Thanks in advance!
Comments12
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I use a wacom companion hybrid. I have had no issues with it and I've had it since January. I use sketchbook pro mobile, the preloaded wacom apps, and layer paint hd. Pluse I play Deemo and cytus on it. Then when I need to I can plug it into any computer and use it like a regular cintiq. I personally love mine, and it has never let me down.

As far as the other brands go, I know a lot of people love the surface pro. However with all the competitors I have heard that they all ditch the original pen and go buy a different one that is made for drawing.

I also heard there are great pens and a great drawing app for the iPad. Its called Procreate. Also if you have an Adobe subscription their apps are available on the iPad.

Whatever you decided, i suggest buying new. You really don't want to get in a situation where something is messed up and you can't send the machine back.
Ebay actually offers squaretrade warranties to cover even used things, at least it's an option for the used item I want to purchase.

I know about procreate, I considered getting a ipad with a modded wacom creative stylus, but was told by other professional artists that you can achieve similar results on the note.

I've heard such terrible things about the Hybrid, the reviews all average around 3 stars which is not ideal for a $1500 tablet!
Ah well, at least you will have some warranty if you buy used.

Well that is a plus. I know ipads are expensive as well, and I know that they have been having issues with them.

I have read all the reviews, but I just don't have any of those problems. THen again when I got mine, there were hardly any reviews of the product out there. Also keep in mind that these tablets came out last october so they aren't even a year old yet. They will probably get some serious updates before october rolls around. Then again I could just be lucky.
It is very tempting, I feel like it would give me a superior drawing experience, but I also feel like that experience wouldn't be worth the extra $1000. I'm trying to get back into drawing more by offering a seemless transition from me sitting on the couch to creating digital art on it. If I was more professional, and doing art more regularly, or even if I hadn't read so many hit and miss reviews with the product, I'd be down for getting a hybrid.

The thing is if you end up with a good, functional hybrid then I'm sure it preforms *beautifully* and is superior to all others on the market, however there's a common issue with the ports not charging, and if it happens to you (even if you're under warrenty) you have to pay to ship it back to them. There have been numerous complaints about both the build quality and the customer service (one complaint about a guy who popped an sd card in only to have it go THROUGH the port and into the machine) which is fine for like a monoprice, but totally unacceptable from wacom. It's got a 3 and a half stars on amazon, for some people it's fantastic! For others, it was a huge mistake. :(
I can understand all of that and I understand why you are weary to spend the money. It is perfectly understandable. If you have any questions about it though just let me know.
I personally don't like notes when it comes to drawing. The lag exists and it will never feel as good as a real tablet does, not until wacom or someone else releases a product made solely with drawing in mind. Not that you cannot create good things with one, but at least for me it makes the quality and enjoyment of my art plummet.
They did, actually! But it's like 2000-1500 dollars and total crap apparently. It does some things really well and other things really badly, with overall really bad reviews for something more expensive than any of it's competitors. If it was functional and had great performance reviews, that would be one thing. I'd actually consider purchasing one, but since they don't, I'm looking at these 3 options instead.

I saw this youtube video of someone using the ATIV 700T with a hotkey script for undo and redo which looked super appealing to me because I use those features the most. I actually found a few available for around 500 USD which is incredibly cheap. I'm concerned about the 4GB Ram, but the 8gb runs about 200 bucks more than that ATIV.

Now I don't know what to doooo ;_;
I'd consider before throwing 700$ into a portable draw-pad honestly. Because the apps and other gimmicks can be done just as well with a phone (i've never understood the appeal of tablet computers)

But if you feel like you need it, go test it out somewhere. Of course its not the same as using it for a few hours but even fifteen minutes of sketching can really tell whether it will be worth it or not. If it feels fluid and relaxed and natural, then go for it. If there is lag between your pen movements and shit happening on screen I'd seriously consider it, but you can only tell that by trying it out.
There are apps on the Surface Pro.

Word around the forum is that the Notes work well for drawing.

I personally would go for the Surface Pro because you run any Windows software on the thing. That gives you a lot more options with drawing as well as other programs you might want to run. Windows 8 is great, especially on a tablet :meow:

I think if you want to use PTS and photoshop you should get the Surface.
No I'm looking for video game apps like Deemo, Clash of Clans, ect. I'd prefer not to have to use any 3rd party software like BlueStacks. I'm completely unfamiliar with window's 8 apps and have no idea what they are, but I don't believe the apps I was looking for are supported from what I can see.

I also have the option of transferring the file I'm working on via cloud from the Note 10.1 to my computer and finishing it there, with my annoyingly clunky Wacom 3.

The surface pro 2 does seem to be a popular option though. I'm almost tempted to buy both and return the one I don't like. :/
Pretty sure you can play clash of clans on your computer. 

Either way, try them in a store and see?