Best Laptop to buy?

Hey there guys. Long story short, I need to get a replacement laptop as the one I'm currently using is starting to die... ^^;

My plan is to buy one off of Ebay as I really don't have enough money to buy a totally brand new one. So I felt perhaps getting a refurbished one would be a better alternative. Would this be a good idea?

And also, which brands should I look into? Currently I use a Dell Latitude D820 with an operating system of Windows XP and it was generally okay but as we all know, XP has been discontinued so I'm thinking of looking into Windows 7 or Windows 8.

Any laptop brands to consider??
Comments97
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Even for a desktop, you will be hard pressed to find anything suitable for $250 and for a laptop, you're talking about nothing better than a low powered netbook. (You could find something a little better for $300 like the ASUS A53U-EH11).
What processor does your old one have? It's probably a better idea to upgrade it, (maybe get a new HDD and upgrade the memory).
Yeah, I've gotten a bit more money so my limit is in the 300-305 range now.
The processor I have on my current laptop (Dell Latitude D820) is an Intel Centrino Duo.

And  I really don't have any use for this laptop anymore. IT keeps blacking out at random and is just past its prime. This was my dad's laptop and he first got it in 2003. So it's pretty old lol
Dude what version of Photoshop are you running? Its the one thing no one has asked because if you have an older version of Photoshop you won't necessarily need a top line laptop.

Also if your in the UK? and can make it to this event check it out:

www.gadgetfairs.com/

They have refurnished ex business machines PC+Laptops for a good price you might find something. They also sell discounted components etc.   
I'm in the US lol
And i use Photoshop CS5 but I converted it into a portable version so I don't need to install it on my laptop.
And for gaming, I only play Game Boy Advance and Playstation 1 Emulators.
250 isn't going to get you what you want. maybe even worse than the one you own atm.

Why not fixing your dell instead?
I'm going to try my luck. If it doesn't work, shame on me. lol I'm finding some good deals on ebay and Newg so I'm going to give it a try.

And the dell I have is Windows XP. I prefer to get a Windows 7 or 8 now since XP is expired technically.
Good luck then, here's my suggestion if you insist on going that route www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precisio…

better CPU, 17" screen, Nvidio Quadro and business grade component (More reliable and last longer)

Also,XP is still totally usable, you just have to get an anti-virus :)
Hm that has some pretty good specs. Though 17" xD Sounds a bit heavy lol
As a general rule, 4gb of memory or more is good yes?
And what about ghz? Does that really matter?
4GB is just about enough perform art tasks without hassle, whether it's making a regular picture or video editing. Just two days ago I used to use a HP laptop as a temporary PC (until I fixed my primary one) with the same amount of memory, ran absolutely fine.

4GB is fine, just no less than that :)
Got ya :)
Does the ghz matter too?
Depend on what kind of task you're doing.

If all you do is drawing and web surfing, then it wouldn't be much of a concern and 2Ghz is quite sufficient, unless you're engaging into more intense tasks such as video editing or anything that takes an excessive amount of RAM at once. Then you may want to upgrade a little bit to a more recent Core i series laptops.
View all replies
Yea, maybe for low resolution images and standard def video...
Simply not ture, I've been working with 4GB system for years and done many art and 720p video game montages. My old desktop I'm using can easily deal with the canvas resolution of 4500x2800 just fine, no lags. Unless you're talking about huge complicated brushes in photoshop, then even my current 12GB Core i7 system can't handle that.

Unless it's less than 4GB RAM, It's the CPU that matters.
View all replies
Not going to be any more useful than your current one. 

Seriously, look for a laptop with a first generation Core i5 or i7 processor and dedicated gpu.

www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Ideapa…
www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precisio…
www.ebay.com/itm/NOTEBOOK-CLEV…
www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-G74S-17-…

Anything less is just a waste of your money.
It will actually outperform his current by 30%, beside it has nvidia and that mean cuda cores which is a plus Meow :3

The performance may not be that noticeable but then again, it's just good enough for photoshop CS5.5 (and under) and it's only $99. It's the best bang for the buck and let him save for a good laptop while he's at it.
Or he can spend the amount he wanted to spend and get a better laptop and not have to upgrade for two years or so if he ever needs to upgrade at all...

He's set to spend up to $250, he totally should spend that and get the best bang in his budget.
What would be considered "dedicated gpu"?

And what is so important about Core i5 or i7?
If the specs say AMD Radeon Mobility (or anything along those lines) or nvidia geforce, it has a dedicated gpu.

It would actually be faster than your current laptop.
View all replies
Dell still makes really great laptops! (although their desktops aren't quite as good).

Also when it comes to computers, I would only ever buy directly from the manufacturer. Even stores like best buy won't give you all the info you need.
Right now, I'm thinking of choosing either an Asus or a Dell but I'm leaning towards Asus. But I really like Dell because they build  in 4 USB ports instead of 2.
Go for Dell (less issues than the Asus).
What kind of issues does Asus have?
Mainly battery, keyboard & motherboard stuff (my brother had one & it was kaput in 8 months since the repairs are pricey).
Hm well okay. That's a bummer though. The Asus looked and sounded very nice.