Issues with Wacom Bamboo Fun Pen & Touch- is my tablet dying?

Over the past few months my Bamboo Fun (CTH-670s) has been acting up, and it only seems to be getting worse. I'm using it on an Alienware 14 running Win7 Home Premium, 64-bit.

It started with Bamboo Dock declaring that there was an issue with the tablet driver every time I plugged the tablet in. I reinstalled the drivers countless times until I discovered that removing all user preferences in the Preference File Utility seemed to fix the problem. (I bought a new cable a couple of months ago as the old one was acting up, so it's not that.) However lately I've found that even after doing that, the buttons on both the tablet and the pen do nothing.

I've noticed more problems emerging when I use Paint Tool SAI. Mainly that, after a set amount of time (usually 30 minutes to an hour but this can vary), I suddenly can't click on anything. The cursor hovers over any buttons/shortcuts, but clicking does nothing. This doesn't just affect SAI though- it affects the whole desktop, meaning I have to alt+tab out of applications, and even then I can't click. It even affects my laptop trackpad- I can't click with that either! Sometimes hitting alt+t for a new tab in Chrome works (I usually have Chrome open in the background, and I read that Chrome can have a similar issue related to tabs bugging out), but lately I've been finding that I have to hit ctrl-alt-delete to force the system to snap out of it (and even that doesn't always work).

The tablet also bugs out sometimes when I try to use the select or transform tools in SAI- the cursor will turn into the eyedropper and the window will scroll continuously when I try to move the pen (hovering it, not click-dragging). Sometimes restarting SAI works, sometimes I have to sit and wait for up to 5 minutes for the issue to resolve itself.

You may be thinking 'Well, this sounds like it could be a weird SAI issue', and that's what I thought- my version of SAI isn't exactly, um, legit, which may be the root of the issue. (I will be buying the proper version soon as I have the money now, I really like the program and do want to support it!)

However, last night the problem starting occurring in Photoshop CS2 too -.- (I can't afford a newer version hah) - I've also had issues in Chrome so now I'm really starting to wonder if it's the tablet itself. 

These bugs are making my tablet unusable for a good proportion of the time I'm trying to draw with it. I'm not sure if there could be an issue with the pen, but I'm not keen on spending money on a new pen only to find that the whole tablet needs replacing anyway :s I have a feeling that it is a hardware issue though, and my little software fixes (reinstalling drivers/wiping preferences etc) are just prolonging the inevitable :C

I rely on my tablet a lot as I create a lot of digital art, so any advice people have would be greatly appreciated!
Comments1
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In