Link

Statistics

Replies: 10

Intuos 5 vs. Cintiq 13HD

:icontru-form:
Tru-Form Featured By Owner Apr 19, 2013  Student General Artist
G'day everybody
I was wondering if you guys could help

Soon I'm going to be upgrading my tablet from my old bamboo. Yay!
Anyway I need to decide if I'm going to invest extra to acquire a Cintiq 13HD which I can get at a 'decent' (still expensive) price for its release in my country.
So far it seems quite awesome from what I can gauge - it's a very stream-lined Cintiq yet when it comes to having an observable screen, is it the size that counts? Does it work better with a larger screen to draw on?

The reason I ask this is with my bamboo it manages to scale nicely to my large screen, I can look at the screen with no hassle, one hand on the keyboard, another on the tablet as kinesthetic sense kicks in. There fore I think I'd have a smooth transfer to an Intuos with my fingers less on the keyboard and more on the hot bar. As to how this relates with the size question, there is no scaling on a visible screen and kinesthetic sense doesn't matter.

So I guess I'm asking everyone in general but also those who may have owned a 12ux how they felt using it.
Was it cramped as you looked at the screen?
Those who have had both a 'pad' tablet and a screen tablet did you find observing it directly enhanced the experience?

I know the intuos is 1/3 the price of the Cintiq (in the sizes I'm looking at) so is it worth an investment that will stick with me for a long time, or keep with the pad like tablets?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icongenstian:
genstian Featured By Owner May 18, 2013  Professional Artist
The underlying technology is the same.

The Cintiq gives you a screen too.

I got 22HD and 24HDT, it's lovely to draw on, very fast to reposition your hand to the exact spot you want to tweak, and the glass surface doesn't wear down your nibs so much. You don't draw any better on a big screen, but you save some time (zoom in -> zoom out) when you review your images. A big screen is nice when retouching details.
:iconhaaskis:
Haaskis Featured By Owner May 14, 2013
If you already have a second monitor to pair with the 13HD, I'd figure it could be a decent combination to have the drawing area dragged to the 13HD (for example photoshop, you can move the drawing area "out" of the program and make it fullscreen on other screen. Then you'd have all that fancy fullhd 13" space only for the art without all the other stuff that you can access with keybinds and with mouse on the other monitor. :)
:iconartisticaxis:
ArtisticAxis Featured By Owner May 13, 2013
Fellow Bamboo user here.
If you can afford it, get the 13HD man.

I don't own one personally but my Cousin does.
And god damn, they're great.
Way better than drawing with a tablet like an intuos or Bamboo etc.
It's more natural and it helps with creating digitally.
Tru-Form Featured By Owner May 14, 2013  Student General Artist
Thanks for the input.
From what you said it sounds awesome.
I am envious of your cousin.
:iconartisticaxis:
ArtisticAxis Featured By Owner May 14, 2013
Same here man, I'm forever broke. :no:
:iconkeefsey:
keefsey Featured By Owner May 11, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I can weigh in an say I have a 22"HD Cintiq. I do love it, however, it is huge, heavy and bulky. It takes up a lot of real estate on my desk. The 13" is really tempting me. Under 5 pounds, very thin, and one cable (although it is placed in a weird location). I am very much considering selling my 22 and getting a 13.
Tru-Form Featured By Owner May 14, 2013  Student General Artist
So you see the conveniance of weight and the more compact size more valuable than the area of work? I've never head that response. But I can understand. The 22ux at uni is heavy to move. I don't know if you found this but if your not looking down the pen on the tablet, the depth of where the display is and the contact of the screen creates an odd sensation as the line doesnt appear directly under the pen. Maybe its just Im use to not looking at what I draw with the bamboo
Thanks for chipping in. I'm hoping the funds crawl across the line to grab one. The bamboo is asking for retirement
:iconkeefsey:
keefsey Featured By Owner May 14, 2013  Student Digital Artist
There are ups and downs. Don't get me wrong, the 22 is awesome. I do however find that I only use a certain section of the full monitor anyway, so I don't think having a 13 will hinder that. Rarely do I use the entire screen to draw. I bet if I could see some sort of 'use map' there would be a general area in one section, most likely because that's the area by arm/hand rests while drawing. I do think I will pick up a 13" anyway and give it a shot. I do like that's it's 1920x1080, which is also a step up from the 12UX. Let me know how it turns out if you get one! Good luck!
:icondarkmagistric:
darkmagistric Featured By Owner Apr 19, 2013
While I haven't used the 12ux...I have used plenty of Tablet PCs with the same relative size and res.

I know some Artists have complained about feeling cramped...but I make do just fine with the 11.6 inch screen in my S7S. I also have the 21ux Cintiq...while I love its big screen very dearly...I can alternate back and forth from 11.6 to 21 inches with no prob for my general work flow.

I've also had plenty of the more traditional pen tablets, Bamboos, Intuos 4, etc...while I got very proficient at using them....I still prefer drawing on screen. It just works works better for me.

I would recommend going with the 13HD.....but more so if anything for the benefit of having a Dual Screen set up. Until I got my 21ux...I never realized just how useful having dual screens can be....especially for art purposes, since you can throw reference photos or tutorials on your old monitor while you work on the Cintiq.
Tru-Form Featured By Owner Apr 19, 2013  Student General Artist
Thanks for the reply
I didn't fully consider the idea of having reference on the monitor - so silly :p
Thanks for your input - defiantly gives me a bit more to consider in favor in investing in the 13HD
Add a Comment: