Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
February 9, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

My PC's CD/DVD drive doesn't work properly.

:iconguerrillacartoonz:
GUERRILLAcartoonz Feb 9, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Just as of yesterday, our computer's CD/DVD drive seems to have crashed on us. My dad was the last one who used it, and he said he was just putting one of his CDs into the computer to listen to some music while he worked on writing something, and the CD wouldn't play. Nothing even happened, actually.
Upon looking at it just this morning, the CD/DVD drive claims to have nothing in it. Yet when I go to eject it (by pressing both the button and going to My Computer to right-click and hit "Eject" there), nothing happens. When I right-click and hit "Eject," it tells me that there was an error ejecting.
Basically, there seems to be a CD inserted into the drive, but it's stuck in there and it's not being read.

What should we do?
We just got this computer (it's a Lenovo IdeaCentre) not too long ago, and we really don't have the money to just go out to buy another computer right now... but that's what my dad's thinking about doing right now.

Any advice is appreciated greatly. Thank you. :)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondoctorv23:
Firstly remove the CD by inserting the end of a paper-clip into the small hole on the front of the reader. (Don't worry, it's designed for the purpose). Clean the reader (and the CD itself).
I'd do that, but there is no small hole anywhere on the external part of the reader. This is my computer: [link]
So, it's unless the said hole on the reader is on the inside of the computer...
We'll probably just have it get taken to a repair shop or something.
Yes it's a different design...try booting into the BIOS, 'DEL' or 'F1' key when starting (LENOVO screen displays). Then see if you can eject the disc with the computer in this state. To get out of the BIOS, just press "Esc" -it may ask for confirmation, typically "Exit BIOS without saving changes?" (y or n) Press "y" and Enter.
I've just tried that... and it didn't seem to work, either.
I'm thinking we're probably just going to have to order a new drive and take it to a friend of my dad's to get it put in. :/
Thanks for helping, though. :)
It's most likely mechanically stuck in there. It's a special trayless slot design (similar to what iMacs use), so you can't replace it with a standard one, unless it's an external - which might be a reasonable solution as well:)
If the comp is still under guarantee, it would help.
GUERRILLAcartoonz Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I actually just found out what was really wrong with it, actually.
Somehow, there were two discs stuck inside of it... my dad probably thought there was nothing in it and put a second one in there by mistake. I managed to get them both out without hurting anything, so it's working just fine now, like it did before.

I really do appreciate the help, though. :D
Wow, glad it's sorted. :)
:icontrampire:
Time to get a new one! There's a small hole for you to put a pin in and mechanically eject the device but looks like it won't work.
A new reader, or a new computer? ^^;
I'd try putting a pin into the hole of the reader, but there isn't a hole anywhere externally. It's probably on the inside of the computer or something... this is the computer I have: [link]
Add a Comment: