Trouble calibrating my cintiq 12wx

Hey you all, I've spent a great part of my weekend trying to calibrate my cintiq to have some what remotely close colors to my laptop display. I even had some help with using a Spyder 4 Pro calibrator that my school had. The problem I had was even with both screens calibrated my cintiq remained unchanged, I even tried again after factory resetting it and tried calibrating them again. My laptop also has a contrast and saturation option but that hasn't helped much.

I've also spent a great deal of time trying to mess with the RGBs, brightness, contrast and backlight on the cintiq and with my laptops monitor options.

So some other general information, I know for a fact that its my Cintiq display that's over saturating everything, I checked with a few friends on the colors they saw on something I was working on and there description was closer to what my laptop displays. My laptop is a HP pavilion so I dunno if that plays into anything.

I'm going to see if I can try using Spyder again to try and calibrate them again but I'd like some general advise or tips before I try again, it seems like this is a pretty common problem based on what I've seen around on the internet and no one seems to have a solid answer on this sadly.
Comments9
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I've just ordered a colormunky display to help calibrate my displays, which should help within what its capable of.
Maybe look into the Ynova MSP19U (~$700). I'm not sure exactly how good it is for color. I'm another Cintiq 12wx owner, I know the color is pretty poor, so you need another good monitor to get accurate color (negating some of its purpose).
Yeah I'm looking into getting a Ynova (or however the heck you spell it) once I get my refund back on my cintiq. I pretty much just have up on it cause it wasn't worth the extra effort. I've been seeing more positive things about it and doesn't seem to run into that color problem that I had with the cintiq.
I've made a topic about this as well. I asked on many forums, even Wacoms, but there's unfortunately no real solution for this.
The problem is that the backlight on the 12WX is just too weak, compared to other monitors, which makes your art appear more bright on other monitors. Trying to calibrate with a spyder was the closest I could get, but even then the colors were off. In the end I settled with editing the picture on another monitor after I finished (Photoshop, color editing), and saving up for one of the newer Cintiqs that don't have those issues.
Oh man you are kidding me... Your forum post came up a lot when I was trying to find a solution... I thought you might of found an answer seeing how your works came out from what I'm seeing here.

Yeah I'm not gonna keep my cintiq, I'm gonna return this thing cause this ubsurd that even wacom won't give a clear answer, the 12wx already eats up desk space as it is, I can't imagine how big the 24 would be... Well I'm glad you posted cause I didn't feel like I had answered for this problem and I wasn't sure if I should hold in to it. Looks like I'm gonna have start saving up myself...
Oh well... I bought my 12WX second hand, a few years ago. I had my time with it, but eventually sold it to somebody else at the same price I bought it, and saved up for the 24HD, since the colors became pretty much the issue. The 12WX kinda serves it's goal when you look for a more portable device (the 24HD is over 30 kilograms, so you need 2 people to actually carry it around -- totally unportable) so it's not a bad alternative. It's just that it's an older type and the screen quality isn't good enough to match up current standards.
Yeah it's frustrating right now, dang I never would imagined that the 24 would weigh so much, I'm not looking for portability to much but it would still be trouble some since my dorm desk doesn't have room to fit that. I hate to ask but do you know a alternative to the cintiq is about the same size as the 12 and functions as well as the 24? I just got an email from wacom saying if I want colors to be accurate that I should invest in a 24.
Nope. There currently is no alternative except for investing in a bigger desk.
But you can use the 24HD as you main monitor, so you can get rid of your current monitor. That might save you some space :)