Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 23, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 5

Starting over with my tablet, need some suggestions!

:iconmackenziebedford:
MackenzieBedford Jan 23, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
When I was younger I mainly painted and drew on my computer. But I went to college and my art program was entirely traditional. I love traditional, but I want to get back into digital and I want to use a tablet again.
I want to get something akin to an ipad or a playbook, since my laptop is on its last legs. I'm wondering if there's a tablet out there that acts as the sort of tablet you draw with too, or if I have to get both separate pieces of hardware and combine themmmmm...
Some suggestions, guidelines, anything would be appreciated!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconstipend:
stipend Jan 23, 2013   General Artist
on a budget?
portable solution: android tablet + sketchbook pro.
(avoid the 7" acer a100, it has issues with stylus input)
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Jan 23, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Budget? Do you want a standalone tablet like an iPad that is good for drawing? Are you looking for a pen display like a cintiq?

Broadly speaking you have two main choices for an iPad-like thing for drawing. You can get an iPad 4 and a Adonis Jot Touch when it comes out. It might have good performance, we'll have to see when it's released. Or the Galaxy note 10.1 if Android is more your thing. They're the same price as an iPad :shrug: Although the iPad has a vastly better screen.

Oooh Cintiq's are pretty, but way out of my budget. I'm looking at maybe 600CAD max. If I find that digital welcomes me back I might invest more money into something better but as start up I don't want to go over 600... 700 if it's really appealing.
I'm by principle a hater of Apple but I have an iPhone so I've already dipped my toe...
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Jan 23, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
If you want a Cintiq-type thing for less money then you'll want one of these: [link]
They're missing a few of the nicer features of the high-end cintiqs but they're also a fraction of the price :p make sure to get the MSP19U and not the MSP19. The U has a better digitizer.

Or an iPad/Note 10.1 :shrug: I personally think the screens on the iPads are so much better that it is hands-down in the iPad's territory (I'd rather have the nicer screen with an aftermarket pen). But the Note certainly works well enough. It's up to you :)
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I didn't even have a clue of which brand to look at.
Add a Comment: