Closed to new replies
January 23, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 7

Yiynova dp 10 Vs Intuos 5

:iconodnam92:
odnam92 Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Student Digital Artist
So I've been in the market for a new pen tablet. I'm currently using a bamboo splash which is great for basic purposes, but I'd like something with a bit more features. I've looked into several options and I've narrowed it down to 2 models around the same price range. A Yiynova Dp10 which is basically a lcd display tablet, and an Intuos 5 medium.

I'm interested in a couple of features on the yiynova. Mainly because of the digital display that let's you actually draw on screen. Though I'm concerned about lag issues with the pull rate as well as the parallax between the placement of the pen and the cursor on screen.

What stands out about the intuos 5 for me is the customizable buttons, the touch features and of course the fact that wacom's pens don't use up batteries.

So I'd like to know what everyone's experience is with these tablets, maybe you've noticed some issues while using them? Or features that could possibly help me decide?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

odnam92 Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Student Digital Artist
well I did it .-. I have an intuos 5 medium now and I must say it's bigger than I expected, which is a good thing. I love all the features it has especially the custom buttons c:
:iconmattchee:
mattchee Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
I haven't used the yiynova, but I do own an Intuos5 (large). I also previously used to draw exclusively on a Wacom "penabled" TabletPC, which is a similar concept to the yiynova DP10.

Obviously I can't say yay or nay on the quality of the yiynova itself, however I can tell you that when my tabletPC died, I was pretty much devastated because I had drawn "on screen" for so long that I couldn't even imagine going back to a regular tablet. I found later that this was due, in large part, to my memory of "regular" tablets being my old 4x5 graphire4. Anyhow, I don't really trust non-wacom tablets (I mean, if I'm going to put out the money), and I just couldn't figure out a way to financially make a Cintiq 21 or 24 inch happen, and the 12 inch seemed just too dang small for the money. I was already fairly un-happy with the restrictiveness of the 12.1 inch display on my tablet PC (take note of that).

So, by some stroke of luck, my marketing director at work brought in his large Intuos4 from home for me to use in the office (where I did use my graphire4 from time to time), and it was like a wow moment. I realized that everything I dreaded about "regular" tablets was tied to using such a small tablet as the graphire4, and that drawing on the intuos was pretty much a dream.

Long story short (well, I guess its a long story already) - that was enough to convince me that the intuos5 was the way to go, and I bought it, and I have never missed drawing on screen since. In fact I enjoy my intuos5 MORE than drawing on screen because #1 - I get to use my big monitor, and not have to worry about being restricted to a small space, and #2 - my hand never gets in the way!

To answer your concerns a little more directly:

On the tabletPC , parallax existed, and i noticed that, too, it varied depending on location. Meaning it became greater toward the edges of the screen - not matter if I just calibrated it or not. I never really had an issue with the parallax though, because I just looked at where the cursor was drawing, not my pen tip. So if parallax is warding you off, I wouldn't worry to hard about it. Ditto for the lag (which I also got a taste of).

When it comes to the yiynova, though I would really think hard about the size of that thing. It's only 10 inches. That's a pretty small space to draw on. The 12.1 inch tabletPC worked, and I was able to work with in the confines, but it became frustrating at times. Plus think about how much of that space your hand is going to be covering when you draw! Just throwing that out there.

I really love my intuos5, and the buttons are really all that. I use a bamboo create at work and I am SO frustrated about not having those buttons! The great thing is that you can program the presets differently for all of your different software. Oh yeah! I haven't really warmed up to the touch features yet. I think they might be handy if I could figure out how to work them into my workflow, but as of yet they're just something nifty to play with once in a while, and i'm usually more frustrated than anything when I do leave the touch on because I'll accidentally do a lot of stuff without meaning to. (I have that same problem with the bamboo)

Anyhow, I don't know if any of that rambling was useful, but if you found a helpful nugget in there somewhere, I'll be happy! Whatever you get, I hope you have a lot of fun with it!
odnam92 Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Student Digital Artist
actually yes! C: you've made quite a few great points as well I appreciate it. When I think about it, I'd much rather prefer having the quality of a wacom over the quirks of some off brand with a screen. Thank you for your help now I'm certain I will go for the intuos. Just out of curiosity what size of the intuos have you had your experience with?
:iconmattchee:
mattchee Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
The intuos5 I have at home is a large. However, at work I now use bamboo create, which lacks a lot of the features (frustratingly), but size wise, it's plenty big enough. The medium Intuos5 is only slightly larger than that.... So that might be a good option. I like having the large, but if I were to buy it all over again, now knowing how happy I am with the size of the bamboo create, I might have opted for the medium. Less money and it also takes up less desk space. The large takes up a TON of space, and its not like its easy to put off to the side or stash it anywhere.

Just for reference, because this is also relevant, at work I have a 27" monitor and at home I have a 22".
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Professional Artist
You'll get used to the parallax in under an hour. Human brains are good at parallax. As for the lag... it will likely be the same on the yiynova as it is on the Wacom. Not looking at the tablet while you drew helped your brain to ignore a lot issues like that with the bamboo... once a screen gets involved it seems very different. You get used to it though :)

The Wacom does get you more resolution in the actual pen tracking than the yiynova, and the wacom pens are much better in my opinion. You get tilt sensitivity in the wacom pens and Wacom has an entire line of other pens if you're into different shapes and whatnot. Plus you also get the option of wireless.

I think you might also want to look at: [link] They use UC Logic digitizers which are known to be quite good. Plus, it's like a fifth of the price :p So, basically, better digitizer than the yiynova dp10 with the buttons of the intuos. The downside is that you don't have a whole bunch of different accessories and shit and I've always found that monoprice cables just don't last all that long. Of course, if you can buy 10 monoprice tablets for the cost of an intuos who cares if you need a new one once a year :p.

The yiynova's are known to have driver issues and are little bitches to set up. I've seen more than a few artists complaining specifically about the DP10s drivers being iffy. You have to make sure to uninstall all wacom drivers and install the yiynova driver before plugging the tablet in. It also doesn't support mirror-monitor mode. The screen is fairly low quality as far as LCD screens go but it's not the worst. They just don't have very good viewing angles (so you have to be right on top of it). Nothing game-breaking though. Oh, also from experience here on the forum, you might have to update your USB drivers for the display link stuff to work correctly. I also have found that DisplayLink stuff lags more over USB than an actual video connection... but that's to be expected and likely won't bother you.

Pros and cons of each :) you just have to decide what you find most important.
odnam92 Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Student Digital Artist
awesome, you made some really good points, I appreciate your help. Right now I'm leaning towards the Intuos simply because of the fancy buttons and the piece of mind that it is a wacom product .o.
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Professional Artist
Not a bad choice :)
Add a Comment: