Closed to new replies
January 17, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 5

Considering Buying a Tablet, Need Help

:iconfieldsoffire:
FieldsOfFire Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
I'd like to make the move from mouse to tablet. I don't really know what to look for-I use Corel Painter '11 and have a MacBook that's '08 or '09. I'm not a professional artist and I'm not that talented either, so I don't know if I should spring for the most expensive item. Any suggestions?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcrimson-demise:
Crimson-Demise Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well, since you're a novice hobbyist, I'd recommend Wacom's Bamboo line of tablets.

There are multiple models with various price ranges, but the entry level is the Bamboo Pen&Touch which runs about $70 USD. It's got a modest drawing area, but it should be sufficient.

If you're willing to pay more, there is always the Bamboo Create which has a much larger surface area, but runs $130 more than the Pen&Touch. If you've got the cash, I urge you to seriously consider this one, because as you become familiar with how tablets work, a larger surface area allows your strokes to be more natural.

There are many other brands of tablet as well, but Wacom is consistently the best.(Recent criticisms aimed at the professional line of Intuos tablets notwithstanding)
FieldsOfFire Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
Thanks for the advice. $200 is probably within my price range. I am a novice and a hobbyist, but I'm definitely hoping to improve to at least commission-worthy level and I want a tablet that can get me that far and last a while.
Crimson-Demise Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You're welcome!

Bamboo Create can certainly take you places.

However. . . You said you use Painter. Painter makes heavy use of Pen Tilt, which is a feature of the Intuos and Cintiq lines. Unfortunately, Bamboo lacks this feature.

I'd suggest checking Amazon, DickBlick Online or CarpeDiemStore for new/unused Intuos4 tablets that cost less than buying directly from Wacom.

The only difference between Intuos4 and 5 is that 5 supports touch(and costs much more). Also, be aware that these two tablet types also feature highly textured surfaces that increase nib wear significantly.
FieldsOfFire Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
I'm seeing some intuos 4-5 in the $300 range, and I'd probably be able to squeeze that. If I can only get the bamboo, I also have Sai (although I'm much less experienced in that.)

Are nibs something you can buy separately and replace?
Crimson-Demise Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I apologize for my late reply. I have a ridiculously difficult time using the internet connection on my phone.

To answer your question, YES. You can buy nibs separately, but are a little pricey.

I believe 10 will cost around $20.
Add a Comment: