Closed to new replies
January 10, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 6

Canon Powershot A630 for time lapse?

:iconviliusm:
Hey there!
I am planning on repainting a room and I was thinking it would be quite nice to make a time lapse out of it.
Now the question is this - is there a way to feed power to that camera (Powershot A630) continuosly, without the need of replacing batteries for, say, 4-5 hours? Also is there a way to connect the camera directly to my laptop hard drive?
Keep in mind I'm quite green in this computer/camera related stuff :)
Thanks in advance!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconelectricjonny:
electricjonny Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Hmm, well I just took a quick glance at the CHDK forum ([link]) since I would have suggested using that piece of firmware to "hack" that camera, to make time lapse easier, but I'm not sure that camera is supported.

But, in terms of not needing to replace the batteries, I assume it has a power in kind of adapter?  My Canon PowerShot SX100 IS didn't come with a power adapter, but I was able to buy on at Radioshack for pretty cheap.  Just make sure it spits out the right voltage, and has the right adapter, and all should be good.
The camera is hacked actually, so software-related stuff should be covered. It runs on 4 AA batteries, as :iconpyrohmstr: mentioned. I guess i'm on the lookout for an adapter, then :) Thanks!
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It just runs on 4 AA batteries, right? You could build/buy a power supply that will provide 6V DC and then just connect it appropriately inside the battery compartment.

I think the camera has AV out, you could pipe that into your computer and then use software to take a picture at some interval.
Yeah, it does run on 4 AA's. I'm gonna go with that adapter idea. As for the connecting the camera with laptop - what I had in mind was if it would be possible to route the saved pictures directly to the laptop's hdd. I assume that's what you had in mind as well? Cause the camera has the required software (hacked...) in terms of taking pics in intervals (ranges from 10s to 10 minutes, as far as I know).
Anyway, thanks for the input, I'll ask around shops about that cable :) Cheers!
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Oh, as for it automatically moving files... I can't say for sure if you've hacked the software on the camera

...but usually cameras just mount as file systems. That means you can copy images off the camera to your computer and then delete the images on the camera. Which I realize is stating the obvious. The trick is that you can write a batch file/ shell script that does it automatically :dummy:

Although, it would be easy to just buy a 32 GB memory card from Amazon Basics and have it hold all of the pictures. I mean, you aren't really looking to take all that many.
Well, actually I came to realize that after posting a reply, so that should be covered as well :)
Allrighty then, thanks so much!
Cheers!
Add a Comment: