Closed to new replies
January 7, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 33

Wacom Bamboo Pen&touch or Intuos4?

:iconmashkina:
mashkina Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I really want to switch to Wacom after my Aiptek tablet. But can't decide which one I want. It seems like Intuos are much more customizive and professional, still Muclti-Touch function seems useful. Please help... :)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icongenstian:
genstian Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Professional Artist
Intuos4 is far superior when it comes to pen drawing. Multi-touch, naa, I got a 24HDT, and most programs doesn't support multi-touch good enough for it to be even remotely useful (only Corel Painter 12.2 seems to do this well enough), most programs with multi touch have too slow zooming (and lakes adjustment functions) etc.
mashkina Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thank you!
:icondelusionalhamster:
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I almost never used the touch feature on my bamboo. In fact, I turned it off everytime I used it, because it only gets in the way when drawing. Mouse is better when using the computer, and pen is better when drawing.

If that is the only issue, go with Intuos. Much better.
mashkina Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thanks for the advice
:iconhabla-babla:
habla-babla Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Be aware that with the Intuos4 (and5?) there are a few issues. Nib wear has been a huge issue many complained about due to the textured surface Wacom bagan using to simulate paper. Also many had issues with the USB cord breaking off. I myself was looking for an Intuos 3 for these reasons. It has a more smooth surface, though the pressure levels are less (i think) than the 4 and 5. Most cant tell the difference anyway it seems.

As for touch controls I personally found them to be fairly impractical for my workflow. The idea sounds neat but it just feels awkward on my old Bamboo.

These days I would suggest looking into 'Monoprice' tablets. Theyre dirt cheap and arguably outperform Wacom tablets. Check out Frendens reviews of them, there others on Youtube etc.:
[link]
mashkina Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thank you :) As soon as Monoprice will be available in my country I'll look into them.
:iconmattchee:
mattchee Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
I use a Bamboo Create at the office and an Intuos5 (large) at home. They're both fantastic and I love both of them.

There are a lot of benefits to the Intuos - particularly in the size options and the greater flexibility for programming the express keys - but if I had to use the bamboo all the time, I would probably be almost as happy as I am now.

If you're interested in touch, the Intuos5 has touch... not sure why you're looking at the Intuos4 at this point. I haven't totally warmed up to touch for either of my tablets yet, but I'm trying to work it into my workflow, and I can see it being quite useful.
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Intuos5 touch tablets do not have exchangeable surface overlays, so surface/nib wear may be a problem. Intuos4 has exchangeable surfaces, so it's less of an issue. Also, the touch feature is pretty useless. You can get Intuos4:s for cheap right now. I just ordered a medium one for €200.
:iconmattchee:
mattchee Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Good points. My coworker used his intuos4 without the overlay extensively and wore out the surface texture... However once that texture was gone, the nib wear went away (like the older models that didn't have that surface texture.). Depends on what you want.

And yeah, like I say, I haven't really gotten them into my workflow. I work with guys, though, that have totally ditched their mouse and go off the the touch on their tablet. I guess I'm still too old school for that.
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I've tried navigating with tablet touch, before. It's better than a laptop touchpad, but it's not as good as a mouse. I guess people who are used to using laptops - or tablets, non-drawing-kind - all the time would have an easier time with them, but I've never found them as easy to use.

I don't think it's old school to prefer to use a mouse instead of a touchpad. It's just better ergonomics.
Add a Comment: