Closed to new replies
January 7, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 33

Wacom Bamboo Pen&touch or Intuos4?

:iconmashkina:
mashkina Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I really want to switch to Wacom after my Aiptek tablet. But can't decide which one I want. It seems like Intuos are much more customizive and professional, still Muclti-Touch function seems useful. Please help... :)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icongenstian:
genstian Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Professional Artist
Intuos4 is far superior when it comes to pen drawing. Multi-touch, naa, I got a 24HDT, and most programs doesn't support multi-touch good enough for it to be even remotely useful (only Corel Painter 12.2 seems to do this well enough), most programs with multi touch have too slow zooming (and lakes adjustment functions) etc.
mashkina Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thank you!
:icondelusionalhamster:
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I almost never used the touch feature on my bamboo. In fact, I turned it off everytime I used it, because it only gets in the way when drawing. Mouse is better when using the computer, and pen is better when drawing.

If that is the only issue, go with Intuos. Much better.
Thanks for the advice
:iconhabla-babla:
habla-babla Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Be aware that with the Intuos4 (and5?) there are a few issues. Nib wear has been a huge issue many complained about due to the textured surface Wacom bagan using to simulate paper. Also many had issues with the USB cord breaking off. I myself was looking for an Intuos 3 for these reasons. It has a more smooth surface, though the pressure levels are less (i think) than the 4 and 5. Most cant tell the difference anyway it seems.

As for touch controls I personally found them to be fairly impractical for my workflow. The idea sounds neat but it just feels awkward on my old Bamboo.

These days I would suggest looking into 'Monoprice' tablets. Theyre dirt cheap and arguably outperform Wacom tablets. Check out Frendens reviews of them, there others on Youtube etc.:
[link]
mashkina Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thank you :) As soon as Monoprice will be available in my country I'll look into them.
:iconmattchee:
mattchee Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
I use a Bamboo Create at the office and an Intuos5 (large) at home. They're both fantastic and I love both of them.

There are a lot of benefits to the Intuos - particularly in the size options and the greater flexibility for programming the express keys - but if I had to use the bamboo all the time, I would probably be almost as happy as I am now.

If you're interested in touch, the Intuos5 has touch... not sure why you're looking at the Intuos4 at this point. I haven't totally warmed up to touch for either of my tablets yet, but I'm trying to work it into my workflow, and I can see it being quite useful.
Intuos5 touch tablets do not have exchangeable surface overlays, so surface/nib wear may be a problem. Intuos4 has exchangeable surfaces, so it's less of an issue. Also, the touch feature is pretty useless. You can get Intuos4:s for cheap right now. I just ordered a medium one for €200.
:iconmattchee:
mattchee Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Good points. My coworker used his intuos4 without the overlay extensively and wore out the surface texture... However once that texture was gone, the nib wear went away (like the older models that didn't have that surface texture.). Depends on what you want.

And yeah, like I say, I haven't really gotten them into my workflow. I work with guys, though, that have totally ditched their mouse and go off the the touch on their tablet. I guess I'm still too old school for that.
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I've tried navigating with tablet touch, before. It's better than a laptop touchpad, but it's not as good as a mouse. I guess people who are used to using laptops - or tablets, non-drawing-kind - all the time would have an easier time with them, but I've never found them as easy to use.

I don't think it's old school to prefer to use a mouse instead of a touchpad. It's just better ergonomics.
mashkina Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thank you for explaining :)

I'm looking at the Intuos4 because it's more affordable than Intuos5 (at least in my country)...I really don't paint that much to buy a really expensive tablet. Maybe later...
:icongalacticpink:
galacticpink Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I have an Intuos4, a replacement for a stolen Bamboo Fun. The Intuos4 (and presumably Intuos5) is a much better tablet with more precise control. I don't know how sensitive non-Wacom tablets are.

That being said, do you have Photoshop? I love my Intuos to pieces but they're designed to be most useful with Photoshop. You get what you pay for with the tablets (even with Wacom), but the Bamboo is far from bad! I'd decide based on how much you're comfortable spending.

PS - Replacement pens for Intuos tablets cost significantly more, so keep that in mind when you make your decision! They're durable, so you may never need a replacement, but I have animals that sometimes get a hold of my pens so it's a factor for me. XD
What you're saying is not true. "Designed for photoshop"? No. They work in almost any graphics software that supports pressure-sensitive input.

Wacom tablets are well supported in linux (drivers and all), so all linux graphics software (GIMP, Krita, Inkscape, Mypaint) work well with them.
galacticpink Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
There are some features of the scrollpad part on the Intuos4 specifically designed for Photoshop though, and won't work in GIMP, at least not on Windows. The pressure part works great in most art applications, though, definitely agreed there.
Pressure, tilt, buttons all work in GIMP etc. out of the box, and the scrollpad can be programmed to do whatever.
galacticpink Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Ah, well it won't change my brush size in GIMP, but it's entirely possible I have some setting or another set wrong!
thank you for your reply! the thing is - I rarely use Photoshop. I'm mostly Sai-GIMP user... And it stops me from getting Wacom, because I've heard that they are better designed for Photoshop. and Wacom will work with Sai and GIMP as well (or as bad) as Aiptek.
That's NOT true. It's probably just Adobe propaganda. Wacom tablets work great in GIMP.
Oh, thank you!! Now i know..it was really helpful :hug:
galacticpink Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'd go for the Bamboo fun, then! It's cheaper. I'm mainly a Sai user myself. I loved GIMP until the last update (seriously, I have to Export I can't Save As the file type I want anymore? Booo.) but I managed to get the CS2 Creative Suite during Adobe's little oopsies (as well as save the installation files) so I'm quite pleased. XD
I'll probably just wait and use my Aiptek, and if it stops working I'll get a Bamboo :)
galacticpink Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Haha, good plan, especially since you're not sure. Intuos are generally too expensive to go around buying unless you're sure. XD
:icondaniellekoorevaar:
daniellekoorevaar Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I have Fun Pen and Touch but I actually rarely use the touch function :p I always use the touchpad on my laptop, so I am used to touchpad. The reason I didn't get intuos is simply cuz I don't use my tablet enough for that price.

My friend has one of the huge ass intuos tablets and it's just better I suppose. But fun pen and touch is definitely a very good one, so whatever you chose: you'll never make a bad decision!!
Thank you! I've heard that touch function is almost never used by most artists...
:icondaniellekoorevaar:
daniellekoorevaar Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
No problem :) And yeah, it's just a fun, but useless feature :p
:iconemorgan2889:
emorgan2889 Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
I have the Fun Pen and Touch and I have to say the buttons that you can customize are beyond fabulous for working in Photoshop (I set mine to Ctrl+ Ctrl- Alt+Ctrl+z) and really speeds up workflow (Not sure if Intuos has that too) To be truthful, I don't care much about or for the Multi Touch function personally, I find it awkward and unnatural and I just disable the touch function for this reason.
:iconphinnimonster:
Phinnimonster Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013   General Artist
I think most of it comes down to personal preference of working area, pressure sensitivity, and price. Bamboos are great tablets- I've had one over four years and it's never failed me! I think for the quality and price, it's unbeatable.
Recently I've been looking into upgrading to an Intuos because I would like the larger working area and greater sensitivity (especially the pen tilt)- but these are extras I've only been thinking about after several years of digital painting. As far as professionalism goes, I've seen several professionals who use the Bamboo, so either tablet can get the job done. Something I'll say though that I've heard from fellow artists is that if you're going to get an Intuos, don't get a small- it makes more sense to go with the Bamboo in that case.
mashkina Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thanks for the advice:)
I've used to a big working area (my aiptek is A4), but my wrist hurts a little...so don't know what i want yet.
Phinnimonster Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013   General Artist
If your wrist hurts and you're used to a larger working area, it might be best to stick with a larger tablet so you can work from the elbow/shoulder. Hope you find what you're looking for! (:
mashkina Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thanks! I've downloaded new drivers for my Aiptek, and it's working okay again...yay :D
Phinnimonster Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013   General Artist
Oh, good to hear! :D
:iconby-bec:
By-Bec Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Totally unrelated, but dalekexterminate, is your avatar Tard the cat from facebook fame??
Phinnimonster Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013   General Artist
Ahha, yes it is! (,: The icon itself was made by ~Glad-Sad.
Add a Comment: