Deviant Login Shop
 Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 4, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 3

Laptop doesn't recognize its own CD/DVD drive.

:iconguerrillacartoonz:
GUERRILLAcartoonz Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I've been fixing up my old Gateway ML6720 laptop so I can sell it or something, and just today I noticed that the computer doesn't even recognize its own CD/DVD drive. Like, I'll go to Computer, and the only drives to be seen are Local Disk (C:/) RECOVERY (D:/), and Removable Disk (G:/). I tried plugging in my external CD-DVD reader, but the computer doesn't even recognize that one, either.
Whenever I go to the device manager, both my external CD-DVD drive and the laptop's CD-DVD drive have a little warning symbol on them. When I look at their statuses, this is what I see:
Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

I just last night installed a new wireless internet driver in it so it could download updates and whatnot, and I fired it up this morning and saw that this happened.
I've been looking for driver updates for HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20F ATA device with no luck. I thought I'd found a driver for it earlier, but the closest driver I got was one for a Microsoft optical mouse. :I

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do? I've downloaded DeviceDoctor (because Open Source software is the best I can do; I've tried WinZip and one other program, but in order to download drivers and update them I have to register and buy the product... which I don't currently have the money for)... but the closest thing DeviceDoctor could get me for the CD-DVD driver was the Microsoft optical mouse driver (which I found really stupid that it would recommend that to me, seeing that's for a mouse, and not a CD-DVD drive).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Devious Comments

:icon3wyl:
3wyl Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
:lock: by OP request.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Try this: [link]
:iconguerrillacartoonz:
GUERRILLAcartoonz Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Solved.
Add a Comment: