Closed to new replies
January 4, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 2

Tablet or new laptop?

:iconyitzin:
Yitzin Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
So my current hardware setup has been the same for the last 5 years but fortunately, it's still in good shape even for the heaviest task I use it for which is drawing.

However given its age, I'm seriously considering to either buy a new laptop (MacBook Air 13-inch) or keep my current MacBook and buy an iPad (32GB, no LTE).

If I go for the MB Air, I'd either stay with Photoshop or consider a switch to Pixelmator, since both have vector drawing functionality that I use quite a lot.

But if I go for the iPad, can someone advice me on good drawing apps and a pen for it? I heard iDraw is especially good and could get even better if combined with one of the many other painting apps out there, such as Brushes or Sketchbook Pro or similar. I'm not considering PS Touch because they say it's not as complete as the desktop version, with more focus on retouching and sharing photos than on creating from scratch.

I don't plan to do the change right away (perhaps mid-year at earliest) but I want to start reviewing options to make a better decision.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmrstaz2:
MrStaz2 Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Student Interface Designer
Like Pyrohmstr said, don't go for the iPad if you want to draw. An iPad is something you should consider if you have the money for it and don't have priorities on other things. Me myself have an iPad with Procreate and Paper that are great apps for drawing, but just for those simple and quick drawings since it's not that accurate.

An MacBook Air is actually not that bad. Ok, it doesn't have a graphics card, but it does have a SSD that improves the performance big time.

If I was you I should go for the MacBook Air.
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Professional Artist
Don't get an iPad to draw, it doesn't work as well as you would want it to. If you must, Procreate is a great app.

You might want to buy an intuos5 with the money instead and keep your current MacBook. The Air won't run heavy graphics programs well.
Add a Comment: