January 3, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 4

Light Box Recommendation?

:iconopalskye:
OpalSkye Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
Hey all!
I've a couple of questions regarding light boxes, hopefully this is the best forum section for them :) "Light box" may not be the correct term (as google searches have resulted in SAD lights which isn't even close ha!) Essentially I'd like an A4 sized lamp that I can use to trace sketches and refine for painting/colouring. Some places call them craft lamps, some light boxes and I'm sure there's probably other terms for them that I don't know about.

Firstly, can anybody recommend a specific brand or store that do good quality light boxes? I'm on a reasonably tight budget, looking to spend no more than 50 on one. I'd prefer an A4 sized box. I also live in the United Kingdom (England) so if possible I'd like somewhere UK based as I'm unsure on import duties (Customs has stung me before x_x).

Secondly, would it be cheaper and generally better for me to make my own? I've got decent enough skills when it comes to DIY in general but I could do with some tips and advice on the types of light to use inside the box. I'm thinking LED's (no heat output) but I'm very open to any other suggestions and would appreciate it greatly!

Thanks in advance for any help!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Professional Artist
Get a plastic storage container and put a lamp inside.

Seriously, it works perfectly and you can get an led light-bar if you want to upgrade in the future. Put a layer of wax paper on the inside to diffuse the light if it's too uneven.

OR you can pull an old computer monitor apart, take the LCD out and then put it all back together (leave the backlight in). Now you'll have a more or less even light source with brightness controls if the monitor had them and you remember the buttons :p just put a piece of glass over it and you're all set.
:iconmichithethird:
MichiTheThird Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Never thought of the plastic storage container and wax paper. Sheer genius.
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Professional Artist
:dummy: it works surprisingly well
:iconopalskye:
OpalSkye Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
Thank you so much for the advice! Looks like I'll be recycling a few bits and pieces ;)

Cheers!
Add a Comment: